1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular and Tangential Variables

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1

I think I did this correctly, and I would just check but I'm running out of submissions for my homework so a quick varification would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Here's the problem: The drawing shows the blade of a chain saw. The rotating sprocket tip at the end of the guide bar has a radius of 4.3x10^-2m. The linear speed of a chain link at point A is 8.9 m/s. Find the angular speed of the sprocket tip in rev/s.

So I just assumed I could use this equation to solve for the problem.

V_T = rw
    8.9 = 0.043(w)
    8.9 = 0.043w
    206.98 = w

That seems really fast to me. But the section about this sort of problem in my book is extremely small and has no examples to follow. So I'm not sure what else I would need to be doing.

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

You did not convert to revolutions...

1 Rev = 2piR m
  4. Oct 15, 2004 #3
    Oh, right. So in converting my answer is 32.95. Would I be correct with that?
  5. Oct 15, 2004 #4
    Nevermind, I took the plunge and submitted my answer with one submission left and thank goodness it was correct.

Thank you for your help Cyclovenom. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?