1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular coeficient

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the angular coeficient of a straight line that passes through (4,3), if it satifies x>0 and y>0, and it is one of the sides of a triangle with total area of 27 (units of area).

calcule o coeficiente angular de um reta que passe por (4,3) de modo que a parte da reta no primeiro quadrante forma um triângulo de área 27 com os eixos coordenados positivos.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the area of a triangle is area = base * height/2 . I know the equation of the straigh line is y = aX + B, where "a" is what I am looking for. But I am stucked! I cant find a nice relation.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to use the relation Area = 1/2 * D
    Where D is the determinant of a matrix with the 3 vertices of the triangle, with an aditional columns of "1". But, couldn't go any further... any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume the axes form the other two sides of the triangle. Write the equation of the line though ##(4,3)## with slope ##a##. Its ##x## and ##y## intercepts will give you the base and height in terms of ##a##. Then set the area, now in terms of ##a##, equal to 27 and solve for ##a##.

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    Perfect! I got it. Thank you so much!

I got a solution with two possibilities, a= -1.5, or a = -0.375.

Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook