Is the Commutation Relation for Angular Operators in Hilbert Space Valid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between rotations in Euclidean space and rotations in Hilbert space. The issue arises when trying to prove a similar relation for infinitesimal rotations in Hilbert space, which requires the homomorphism T(O_1+O_2)=T(O_1)+T(O_2) to hold. However, since the rotation group is not closed under addition, this relation may not hold. It is suggested that a different homomorphism P between vector spaces may be needed to properly explain this concept.
facenian
There must something wrong with my understanding of this relations because I think the usual way they are derived in many textbooks makes no sense. It goes like this, first assume that to every rotation O(a) in euclidean space there exists a rotation operator R(a) in Hilbert space,second: the relation stated first is an homomorphism T,that is T(O)=R
So far, so good the problem is that after verifying the relation O_x(da)O_y(db)-O_y(db)Ox(da)=O_z(dadb)-I, for infinitesimal rotations da and db in euclidean space the authors conclude that a similar relation holds for infinitesimal rotations in Hilbert space. This last step requieres that besides being T(O_1O_2)=T(O_1)T(O_2) which is ok, the relation
T(O_1+O_2)=T(O_1)+T(O_2) must also hold.
is it correct what I'm saying? in which case, why should T(O_1+O_2)=T(O_1)+T(O_2) hold?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the rotation group is not closed under addition, so O_1 + O_2 is not, in general, a member of the group, and O_1 + O_2 is not in the domain of the group homomorphism T.

The infinitesimal elements (the Lie algebra) of a (Lie) group, however, do form a vector space, and a homomorphism between two Lie groups (in this case the rotation group and a group of operators) gives rise to a (linear) homomorphism between corresponding Lie algebras of infinitesimals (vector spaces).

So you say that in the last sentece I posted T should be replaced by another homomorphism P this time between to vector spaces so P(O_1 + O_2)=P(O_1) + P(O_2) holds. Now it makes sense however a don't think it is trivial and should be explained properly in Texts.
Thank you.

1. What are Angular Commutation Relations?

Angular Commutation Relations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between two angular variables, such as position and momentum, in quantum mechanics.

2. Why are Angular Commutation Relations important?

Angular Commutation Relations are important because they help us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave at the atomic and subatomic level.

3. How are Angular Commutation Relations derived?

Angular Commutation Relations are derived from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that there is a limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

4. What is the significance of the commutator in Angular Commutation Relations?

The commutator in Angular Commutation Relations represents the order in which the operators acting on a system are applied. It tells us whether the operators commute or do not commute, which has important implications for the measurement of physical quantities.

5. How are Angular Commutation Relations used in practical applications?

Angular Commutation Relations are used in many practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and the study of quantum systems. They also help us make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions in the quantum world.