Angular Dispersion of Visible Light @ 45deg Incidence

In summary, a prism with a 45 degree angle of incidence and an apex angle of 55.7 degrees disperses visible light in the order of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet, with indices of refraction of 1.61 for red light and 1.66 for violet light. The question is asking for the angular dispersion of visible light with the same angle of incidence, which is the angle from the angle of deviation for the violet light to the red light. However, this interpretation was incorrect and it is unclear if the angle of dispersion refers to the dispersion in the solid or the second interface.
fiyavan
hello

Here I a prism with a visible light striking it at 45degree to the normal and the prism has an apex angle of 55.7 degree. It disperse Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Violet color in that order with 1.66 for violet light index of fraction and 1.61 for Red light. I have figured out that the angle of divation for each of these light and the second part of the problem is asking me,

What is the angular dispersion of visible light with the same angle of incidence? Answer in unit of degree.

At first i thought this meant the angle of from the angle of deviation for the violet light to the red light and it was 4.148095389 degree. But it was wrong and I can't think of any other way to interept the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
fiyavan said:
At first i thought this meant the angle of from the angle of deviation for the violet light to the red light and it was 4.148095389 degree. But it was wrong and I can't think of any other way to interept the question.
I would have thought the same.

Looking at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispersion_(optics ) - there is an angle at the interface of the gas and solid and then at the other side - solid to gas. Is the angle of dispersion related to the dispersion in the solid, or the dispersion at the second interface?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest clarifying the question with the person who posed it. It is important to have a clear understanding of what is being asked in order to provide an accurate response. It is possible that the question is asking for the total angular dispersion of visible light, which would be the sum of the angles of deviation for each color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet). This would result in an angular dispersion of approximately 24.89 degrees. However, without further information or clarification, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer.

1. What is Angular Dispersion of Visible Light?

Angular Dispersion of Visible Light refers to the phenomenon where the different wavelengths of visible light are separated or dispersed by a certain angle when they pass through a medium.

2. What is the significance of 45 degree incidence in Angular Dispersion of Visible Light?

45 degree incidence refers to the angle at which visible light enters the medium. This angle is significant because it is the optimal angle for maximum dispersion of visible light.

3. How is Angular Dispersion of Visible Light related to refractive index?

Angular Dispersion of Visible Light is directly related to the refractive index of a medium. A higher refractive index will result in a greater angle of dispersion, while a lower refractive index will result in a smaller angle of dispersion.

4. What factors affect Angular Dispersion of Visible Light?

The main factors that affect Angular Dispersion of Visible Light are the refractive index of the medium, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. The refractive index and angle of incidence determine the angle of dispersion, while the wavelength of the light determines the degree of dispersion.

5. How is Angular Dispersion of Visible Light used in scientific research?

Angular Dispersion of Visible Light is used in various scientific fields, such as optics, spectroscopy, and astronomy. It allows scientists to analyze the composition of different materials and substances based on the unique dispersion patterns of visible light. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as optical sensors and devices.