Angular Distance Homework: Solve Δθ in Radians & Degrees

• Thread starter randomjunebug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the driver in the conversation turns the steering wheel so that the distance his hand moves is equal to twice the radius of the steering wheel. This results in an angular distance of 2 radians, regardless of the value of pi. The ratio of the circumference to the radius is not relevant in this scenario.
randomjunebug

Homework Statement

When driving Bob turns the steering wheel so the distance his hand moves on the steering wheel's circumference is equal to twice the radius of the steering wheel. In both radians and degrees, what angular distance (Δθ) did the wheel turn?

Homework Equations

S=r*Δθ
C=2∏r
1 rev=2∏ rad=360°

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the ratio of the circumference to the radius is 2∏. My first attempt I tried to equate the S and C equations. 2∏r=r*Δθ which got rid of r and I did (1/2)(2∏) which just gave me pi and was wrong. I'm not sure how to solve this but I feel like I'm just missing something small.

I tried making up numbers to help me see it. I pretended r was 5. What I want is 2r, which would be 10. So C=2∏r=31.416. If I divide that by 2∏ I get just r. If I divide it by ∏, I get 2r. So it's still wrong and I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help is really appreciated, it bothers me that I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the drivers hand moves exactly r in distance, then the angle would be 1 radian, from the definition of the radian. So twice that distance gives 2 radians.

So it has nothing to do with pi. Well I feel silly ha.
Thank you for your help.

1. How do you solve for angular distance in radians and degrees?

To solve for angular distance, you can use the formula Δθ = s/r, where s is the arc length and r is the radius. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the value by 180/π. To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the value by π/180.

2. What is the difference between angular distance and linear distance?

Angular distance measures the angle between two points on a circle, while linear distance measures the actual physical distance between two points. Angular distance is a measurement of rotation, while linear distance is a measurement of length.

3. How do you calculate the arc length?

The arc length can be calculated using the formula s = rθ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle in radians. To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the angle by π/180.

4. What is the unit of measurement for angular distance?

Angular distance is typically measured in radians or degrees. Radians are the SI unit for measuring angles, while degrees are a more common unit of measurement in everyday use.

5. Can you solve for angular distance if the radius is unknown?

No, in order to solve for angular distance, you need to know at least two of the following: arc length, radius, and central angle. If the radius is unknown, you will not be able to solve for angular distance using the formula Δθ = s/r.