Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular distriubution of muon flux

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    Hello physics enthusiasts,

I am currently trying to estimate the effects of the muon flux on an experimental setup located overground. In particular I am interested in the angular distribution with which they are impinging.

Sofar I have had problems even finding a simple muon energy spectrum (at creation in the atmosphere as well as at sea-level). As to the angular distribution, I have found this http://cosmic.lbl.gov/SKliewer/Cosmic_Rays/Muons.htm" [Broken] which only makes the naive calculation based on the assumption that the attenuation and path lenghts of the muons are directly proportional. This I don't really understand, as I would expect the muon decaying to contribute with something like [tex]N(x) = N_{0}e^{\lambda x}[/tex], x being the path length and lambda related to the life time of the muon. Additionally muons might simply be stopped by EM interactions after a certain path length, but this effect would depend strongly on the energy spectrum.

I'm confident these inquiries have been made before but I can't seem to find anything usefull - I would be much obliged for some pointers.

Best regards :)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted