1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular elastic collision

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two identical pucks are on an air table. Puck A has an initial velocity of 2.6 m/s in the positive x-direction. Puck B is at rest. Puck A collides elastically with puck B and A moves off at 2.50 m/s at an angle of +16.3° above the x-axis. What is the speed and direction of puck B after the collision? (Take angles above the x axis to be positive and below to be negative.)
    ____ m/s at -73.7 °

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i know this is an elastic collision but i do not know how to solve it for a collision that is at an angle. I got the -73.7 because i know that if anythign is hit at an angle...the total angle of the 2 objects should add to 90 degrees. but how do i solve for the final velocity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Momentum is conserved! Write equations for conservation of momentum for horizontal and vertical components.
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    how do you do it for the initial and final? i dont understand this one
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?