1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular frequency of oscillation

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
    A mass m is suspended vertically by a spring of force constant k. Derive the relation [itex]\omega \geq \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex] where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the (angular) frequency of oscillation. The only way I know to do this is to solve the differential equation [itex]\ddot{y} + \frac{k}{m}y = 0[/itex] using [itex]y = A\cos(\omega t + \phi)[/itex] which gives [itex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]. Where does the [itex]\geq[/itex] sign come from?

Thanks.

James

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there are no other forces acting apart from gravity and the spring, then it should be equals, not greater than or equal to.

4. Jun 24, 2005 #3
  5. Jun 24, 2005 #4
    Exam tomorrow. If anyone has any clues I'd love to know. . .

Thanks.

James

6. Jun 24, 2005 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The [tex] \ge [/tex] might apply if the spring were not linear, but the problem states that the motion is simple harmonic, which, by definition, means that the spring is linear for all of the motion. I assume the statement about ignoring gravity is there so that you will not be thrown off worrying about it, but gravity does not affect the frequency of the oscillator. It only affects the equilibrium position.

You can imagine a scenario in which the mass is pulled down too far and the spring is compressed until the coils touch so that the mass bounces down suddenly instead of being pushed down by the spring force. That would increase the frequency, but that is not SHM. The way the problem is worded, only the equal sign is valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?