How Is Torque Related to Frictional Force?

In summary, the connection between torque friction and force friction is that torque is related to force by the equation T=rxF. To determine when a box will stop rotating, the formula \omega = 0 can be used, along with the formula \tau = I \alpha and \alpha = \frac{\tau}{I}. Friction is independent of area and can be calculated using the formula Ffriction= μN. To stop a box from spinning on the ground, the torque can be calculated by multiplying the frictional force by the distance from the center of rotation.
PJani
I am trying to figure out how exactly Angular friction ("torque") is connected with friction force.

Is there any connection between torque friction and force friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well torque is related to force by T=rxF

Yes i know for that relation but what if i have box on the ground which fully touches ground with all bottom area. Which i spin and i know that static friction is k_s and kinetic is k_k. How can i figure out when box will stop rotating?

Box has some moment of inertia and some mass...

I know that formula is.
[tex]\omega = 0[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \omega_0 + \alpha t[/tex]

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

If i toss around elements
[tex]\frac{(\omega - \omega_0)}{\alpha} = t [/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I}[/tex]

and if i join equations together
[tex]\frac{(0 - \omega_0) I}{\tau} = t[/tex]

then what the heck is torque(T)? If i insert [tex]\tau = r \times F[/tex] Then i have missing variable r.

r would be the distance from the center to where the force is applied.

Yes i know, that why i can't get it because box spins on ground and it has full contact on ground whole area is in contact. That why i can't figure out what i could do with r. because r is scalar and not contact area!

PJani said:
Yes i know, that why i can't get it because box spins on ground and it has full contact on ground whole area is in contact. That why i can't figure out what i could do with r. because r is scalar and not contact area!

Friction is independent of area and given by Ffriction= μN where N is the normal reaction.

I can use [tex]\tau = r \times F[/tex] for point contacts with ground and then calculate produced torque. Which gives me no problem.

But what if i spin box around ground normal. how can i get then torque which will stop the box from spining on ground?

Multiply the frictional force by the distance from the center of rotation.

1. What is angular friction with ground?

Angular friction with ground refers to the force that opposes the rotational motion of an object as it moves on a surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface that interact with the object's shape, resulting in a force that resists the object's rotation.

2. How does angular friction affect an object's motion?

Angular friction can cause an object to slow down or stop its rotational motion, depending on the direction and strength of the force. It can also cause the object to change its direction if the force is not acting directly opposite to the object's motion.

3. How do you calculate angular friction with ground?

The formula for calculating angular friction is μr, where μ is the coefficient of friction and r is the distance between the object's center of rotation and the surface. The coefficient of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and can be experimentally determined.

4. What factors affect angular friction with ground?

The main factor that affects angular friction is the coefficient of friction, which depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact. Other factors that can influence angular friction include the weight and shape of the object, as well as the speed and direction of the object's motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular friction with ground?

Some examples of angular friction with ground include the slowing down of a spinning top due to the friction between the toy and the surface, and the stopping of a rolling ball on a carpet due to the friction between the ball and the fibers of the carpet. Another example is the use of brakes on a bicycle, which create angular friction between the wheels and the brake pads to slow down or stop the bike's rotation.