Angular Kinematics: Calculating Wheel Rotation in 5s

The answer choices are probably incorrect.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of radians turned by a wheel rotating at a constant angular acceleration over a 5 second interval. The correct answer is determined to be 150 radians, although the answer choices may be incorrect.
jesuslovesu
A wheel rotates about a fixed axis. Initial angular velocity of 20 rad/s.
During a 5 s interval the ang. velocity increases to 40 rad/s. (const angular acceleration) How many radians does the wheel turn in 5 s?

Having a bit of trouble, not quite sure why...
so I start out with
w = w0 + at
40 = 20 + a*5
a = 4

w^2 = w0^2 + 2*4*theta
theta = 150 radians

I thought that was the correct answer, however, that's not one of the choices. Anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have 150 radians... Are you sure you wrote the question word for word, or maybe there is an answer in degrees or something? It's also possible the book/test/homework/quiz/whatever it is, is wrong.

I second the 150 radians.

What is angular kinematics?

Angular kinematics is the study of rotational motion and the relationships between angular velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

How do you calculate wheel rotation in 5 seconds?

To calculate wheel rotation in 5 seconds, you need to know the initial angular velocity of the wheel and the angular acceleration. You can then use the formula θ = ω0t + ½αt2 to calculate the total angular displacement (θ) of the wheel in 5 seconds.

What units are used to measure angular velocity?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

How does angular acceleration affect wheel rotation?

Angular acceleration determines how quickly the angular velocity of a wheel changes. As the angular acceleration increases, the wheel will rotate faster in a given amount of time. This can be seen in the formula ω = ω0 + αt, where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is time.