1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Kinematics

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1
    [COLOR="red
    1.QUESTION: [COLOR="Black"]The moon orbits Earth in 27.3 days. suppose a spacecraft leaves the moon and follows the same orbit as the moon. if the spacecraft has a constant angular acceleration of 1.0 X 10^ -10 rad/s 62 what is its angular speed after 12h of flight? (Hint: At take off the spaceship has the same angular speed as the moon)

MY ANSWER:
    given: angular acceleration =1.0X 10^-10 rad/s^2
    t=12hours w final=?

equation: w final = w initial + angular accelerationt
    =0+1.0X 10^-10(12)
    =1.2 X 10^-9 rad/sec^2[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Is this correct?? is my work and answer correct??

2. Consider a common analog clock. at midnight the hour and minute hands coincide. then the minute haand begins to rotate away from the hour hand. suppose you adjust the clock by pushing the hour hand clockwise with a constant acceleration. after 60.0 min, the hour hand has the same angular speed as the minute hand. calculate the hour hands angular acceleration.

my answer/work:
    givn:
    angular acceleration=?
    w initial =12
    w finial=60.0
    t=1
    equation:
    w final= w initiaila+(angular acceleration )(t)
    60=12+ angular acceleration (1)
    60-12= angular acceleration
    48 rad/s

are these the correct work and answers to these two problems? if you know either or both please let me know by leaving me a comment!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS! i just want to check parts of my homework problems that i am unsure about. so if you can help me please do. THANKs

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

First of all, I assume your post would have been answered earlier if you used the homework template. Anyway,

I can't figure out what you've done here. You didn't find the initial angular velocity, did you? Further on, convert days to seconds, and then calculate.

It seems to me you are mixing up angular velocities with time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?