How Is Energy Lost to Friction Calculated in a Pivoting Spool System?

In summary, A spool of thin wire with given dimensions and moment of inertia pivots on a shaft and is pulled down by a mass. After falling a certain distance, the mass has a certain speed. The energy lost to friction during this time can be calculated by comparing the kinetic energy of the spool and the mass. However, calculating the kinetic energy of the spool requires the moment of inertia, which can be assumed to remain constant.
sullyjared

Homework Statement

A spool of thin wire (with inner radius R=0.50m outer radius R=o.65m, and a moment of inertia I_cm=0.8957 kg*m^2) pivots on a shaft. The wire is pulled down by a mass M=1.5 kg. After falling a distance D=0.51m, starting from rest, the mass has a speed of v=64.5 cm/s. Calculate the energy lost to friction during that time.

Homework Equations

KE=.5Iw^2
KE=.5mv^2
v=rw
I=.5M(r^2+R^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made two attempted solutions for this problem. The first was simple. I neglected the spool all together. Then I solved for the potential energy of the mass pulling down and the kinetic energy of this mass, and found the difference... that didn't work.
My second attempt was to calculate the kinetic energy of the spool with KE=.5Iw^2 and compare it to the Kinetic energy of the mass pulling down but to solve for the spools kinetic energy i need the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation, which means i need the mass of the spool, which i don't have... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to assume that the wire that unwinds does not change the MoI of the spool and wire. So your second method should work if you calculate w (omega) correctly. You have the outer dimension of the spool so that is straightforward.

I would suggest approaching this problem by considering the conservation of energy principle. The initial energy of the system (potential energy of the mass and rotational kinetic energy of the spool) should equal the final energy (kinetic energy of the mass and rotational kinetic energy of the spool). By solving for the initial and final energies, you can find the energy lost to friction during the time the mass falls a distance D.

To do this, you will need to use the equations you listed in your attempt at a solution, along with the fact that the initial angular velocity of the spool is 0 (since it starts from rest) and the final angular velocity can be calculated using the relationship v=rw. You can also use the moment of inertia equation that you listed to find the moment of inertia of the spool about the axis of rotation.

Once you have calculated the initial and final energies, the difference between them will give you the energy lost to friction. Keep in mind that friction will also cause the spool to rotate slower than it would without friction, so you will need to account for this in your calculations.

I hope this helps guide you towards a solution. Good luck!

1. What is angular kinetic energy?

Angular kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is a type of kinetic energy that is associated with the rotation of an object around an axis.

2. How is angular kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating angular kinetic energy is:
KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2
Where KE is the angular kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the object, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular kinetic energy?

Linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while angular kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. Linear kinetic energy depends on the mass and velocity of the object, while angular kinetic energy depends on the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object.

4. What are some examples of objects with angular kinetic energy?

Objects that are rotating around a fixed axis have angular kinetic energy. Examples include a spinning top, a rotating fan, a spinning wheel, and a swinging pendulum.

5. How is angular kinetic energy related to angular momentum?

Angular kinetic energy and angular momentum are both properties of a rotating object, but they are not directly related. Angular momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating, while angular kinetic energy is a measure of the energy associated with its rotation. However, both angular momentum and angular kinetic energy are conserved in a closed system.