Angular Magnification of a telescope,

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the angular magnification of a telescope without the necessary equation and resources. The person asking for help is not familiar with the concept of magnification and is seeking a hint or clarification. They are also reminded to follow the forum rules and provide more information in their questions.
Bleitergast

Homework Statement

A telescope consists of a mirror with radius of curvature 14.0 m and an eyepiece of focal length 19.0 cm. Approximately what is the value of its angular magnification

I haven't yet been asked to find angular magnification given such little detail, my cyber-school program doesn't give me the necessary equation for this particular problem and my teacher is on vacation so if someone could give me a tiny hint I'd be tickled pink.

Homework Equations

m=height of image/height of object (my cyberschool says it's useful but I disagree)

The Attempt at a Solution

no clue

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bleiter, and welcome to PF.

Looks like you are ill-equipped to deal with the exercise at hand! Just quoting the definition of magnification factor doesn't suffice under 2. and "no clue" under 3. doesn't count at all. In fact, the folks at PF don't just dislike that, they even put it in the rules, which please get acquainted with.

It's not just for you, also for potential helping hands: I for instance have no idea what a cyberclass is and whether that is before a PhD or beyond.

So show a little more, google around and tell us where precisely you get stuck. Would the same exercise but with a Galilean telescope be a piece of cake for you, or would it leave you equally clueless?

What is the definition of angular magnification?

Angular magnification is the ratio of the apparent size of an object as seen through a telescope to its actual size. It is determined by the telescope's objective lens or mirror and the eyepiece lens.

How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece. This can also be represented as the ratio of the diameter of the objective lens to the diameter of the eyepiece.

What is the significance of angular magnification in a telescope?

Angular magnification allows us to see objects that are too far away or too small to be seen with the naked eye. It also enhances the apparent size and details of the object being observed.

What is the difference between angular magnification and linear magnification?

Angular magnification is the ratio of angular sizes, while linear magnification is the ratio of linear sizes. Angular magnification is used for objects that are far away, while linear magnification is used for objects that are close.

Can the angular magnification of a telescope be changed?

Yes, the angular magnification of a telescope can be changed by adjusting the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece, or by using different eyepieces with varying focal lengths.