1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Magnification of a telescope, need help

Tags:
  1. Jun 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A telescope consists of a mirror with radius of curvature 14.0 m and an eyepiece of focal length 19.0 cm. Approximately what is the value of its angular magnification

I haven't yet been asked to find angular magnification given such little detail, my cyber-school program doesn't give me the necessary equation for this particular problem and my teacher is on vacation so if someone could give me a tiny hint I'd be tickled pink.

2. Relevant equations
    m=height of image/height of object (my cyberschool says it's useful but I disagree)

3. The attempt at a solution
    no clue

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Bleiter, and welcome to PF.

Looks like you are ill-equipped to deal with the exercise at hand! Just quoting the definition of magnification factor doesn't suffice under 2. and "no clue" under 3. doesn't count at all. In fact, the folks at PF don't just dislike that, they even put it in the rules, which please get acquainted with.

It's not just for you, also for potential helping hands: I for instance have no idea what a cyberclass is and whether that is before a PhD or beyond.

So show a little more, google around and tell us where precisely you get stuck. Would the same exercise but with a Galilean telescope be a piece of cake for you, or would it leave you equally clueless?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted