Understanding Angular Momentum and Energy Equations

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining equations (9.7a and b) by differentiating equations (9.8a and b) with respect to time, in the context of acceleration and energy and momentum angular in a central force motion. The person is questioning their differentiation process and considering the possibility of a mistake. They eventually realize their mistake and use the equation L = mw²r to find the correct answer.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
1. Obtain Eqs.(9.7a and b) by differentiating Eqs.(9.8a and b) with respect to time.
Relevant Equations
Aceleration in a polar coordinates and energy and momentum angular in a central force motion
Since the equations are, actually, the question, i will post the image with relevant equations here:

1588729053614.png

it seems strange, I'm almost sure that I didn't make a mistake in the differentiation, but differentiating 9.8b I found 9.7a with both positive terms

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: 1. Obtain Eqs.(9.7a and b) by differentiating Eqs.(9.8a and b) with respect to time.
Relevant Equations:: Aceleration in a polar coordinates and energy and momentum angular in a central force motion

Since the equations are, actually, the question, i will post the image with relevant equations here:

View attachment 262151
it seems strange, I'm almost sure that I didn't make a mistake in the differentiation, but differentiating 9.8b I found 9.7a with both positive terms
Did you remember to differentiate ##r^2\dot\theta^2## using the product rule?

haruspex said:
Did you remember to differentiate ##r^2\dot\theta^2## using the product rule?
Yes, will post soon.

1588731255058.png

[This solution is actually equal to my solution, which is, unfortunately, not equal to equation nine.seven a]

Assuming theta two dots equal zero.

LCSphysicist said:
Yes,
No, you didn't.
LCSphysicist said:
Assuming theta two dots equal zero.
Why would you assume that?

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex said:
No, you didn't.

Why would you assume that?
I did, just cutted the therm with theta two dots and so don't put in the resolution:

call theta by a
(r²a²')' = 2rr'a²' + 2r²a'a'', if a'' is zero, = 2rr'a²' like the image

But stopping to think now, i really see that [theta]'' is not zero, how to deal with that term?

Wow, using L = mw²r i got the answer! thank you

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates).

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and energy?

Angular momentum and energy are related through the concept of work. When an external torque acts on an object, it does work and changes the object's energy. This change in energy is equal to the torque multiplied by the change in angular displacement, which is essentially the change in angular momentum.

4. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. The direction of angular momentum is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the vector is perpendicular to the plane of rotation. If the direction of the vector is opposite to the direction of rotation, the angular momentum will be negative.

5. How is angular momentum related to rotational inertia?

Angular momentum and rotational inertia (or moment of inertia) are directly proportional to each other. This means that the greater the rotational inertia of an object, the greater its angular momentum will be for a given angular velocity. This relationship is described by the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is rotational inertia, and ω is angular velocity.