Exploring Angular Momentum and the HUT: Eigenstates and Uncertainty

In summary: Yes, you're right. The HUT is an inequality, \sigma_{L_x}\sigma_{L_y} \geq 0, so I don't know. Compute \hat{L}_{x}|1,0,0\rangle \hat{L}_{y}|1,0,0\rangle \hat{L}_{z}|1,0,0\rangle And then the uncertainties...And verify the uncertainty relation...
broegger
Hi,

The operators representing the components of angular momentum are incompatible, since

[tex][L_x,L_y] = i\hslash L_z [/tex].

If you apply the uncertainty principle to this you get:

[tex]\sigma_{L_x}\sigma_{L_y} \geq \tfrac{\hslash}2|\langle L_z \rangle|[/tex].

But what if [tex]\langle L_z \rangle = 0[/tex]? Then the HUT does not prevent simultanoeus eigenstates of Lx and Ly or what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,it's true.U can,under certain conditions,measure eigenvalues of [itex] \hat{L}_{x} [/itex] and [itex] \hat{L}_{y} [/itex] exactly...

I think you meant

[tex] \left[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{L}_{y}\right]_{-}=i\hbar\hat{L}_{z} [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes,it's true.U can,under certain conditions,measure eigenvalues of [itex] \hat{L}_{x} [/itex] and [itex] \hat{L}_{y} [/itex] exactly...

Oh, could you give a quick example? My book doesn't mention this: it just states that it is impossible to have simultaneous eigenstates of Lx and Ly because they don't commute. Everytime <Lz>=0 (like the ground state of hydrogen, right?) the HUT allows simultaneous eigenstates of Lx and Ly, but is it very uncommon (since my book doesn't mention it)?

dextercioby said:
I think you meant

[tex] \left[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{L}_{y}\right]_{-}=i\hbar\hat{L}_{z} [/tex]

Daniel.

Yes, edited.

broegger said:
Oh, could you give a quick example?

I think you found it yourself.H atom in the fundamental state (1s) has

[tex] \langle\hat{L}_{z}\rangle_{|1,0,0\rangle}=0 [/tex]

broegger said:
My book doesn't mention this: it just states that it is impossible to have simultaneous eigenstates of Lx and Ly because they don't commute.

This means that they don't analyze the cases of the general uncertainty relations...That's bad... :yuck:

broegger said:
Everytime <Lz>=0 (like the ground state of hydrogen, right?) the HUT allows simultaneous eigenstates of Lx and Ly, but is it very uncommon (since my book doesn't mention it)?

Why is it very uncommon.I'd say the H atom is very common...~75% of solar mass is hydrogen...

Daniel.

Yeah, the H-atom ground state has <Lz>=0 but that doesn't necessarily imply that it is a simultaneous eigenstate of Lx and Ly: the HUT is an inequality, [tex]\sigma_{L_x}\sigma_{L_y} \geq 0[/tex], so I don't know.

Compute

[tex] \hat{L}_{x}|1,0,0\rangle [/tex]

[tex] \hat{L}_{y}|1,0,0\rangle [/tex]

[tex] \hat{L}_{z}|1,0,0\rangle [/tex]

And then the uncertainties...And verify the uncertainty relation...

Daniel.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of an object.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (rate of rotation) and the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the angular momentum of an object cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred to or from other objects in the system.

What is the HUT (Hubble Ultra Deep Field)?

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field is an image taken by the Hubble Space Telescope that captures a small patch of the sky in incredible detail. It contains over 10,000 galaxies at various distances from Earth, and has provided valuable insights into the early universe and the formation of galaxies.

How is the HUT related to angular momentum?

The HUT image is related to angular momentum in that it demonstrates the concept of conservation of angular momentum on a grand scale. The galaxies in the image are rotating and their rotation is a result of their initial angular momentum during their formation. This image also helps scientists understand the distribution of angular momentum in galaxies and how it affects their structure and evolution.