1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum and Torque

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was just doing some extra credit problems and couldn't figure this one out.
    I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

A mass of 5.6 kg is attached to a light cord, which is wound around a pulley. The pulley is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 7.3 cm and mass 2.7 kg.

1 - What is the magnitude of the net torque on the system about the point on the axis at the center of the pulley? ( in N m)

2 - When the mass has a speed of v = 49 m/s, the pulley has an angular speed of w = v/R
    Determine the magnitude of the total angular momentum of the system about a point on the axis at the center of the pulley (kg m^2/s)

3 - using the fact that avg torque = dL/ (dt) and your result from the previous section, calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the mass. (m/s^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using torque = inertia x angular acceleration
    (mr^2)
    I also tried
    F = mg - ma = 5.6*9.81 - 5.6*a
    so τ = F*R = (mg - ma)*R
    I = 1/2*mR^2 = 1/2*2.7*0..073^2 = 0.007194 kgm^2 but got stuck and this didn't seem right.

I am just really confused. Thanks for all your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What forces act on the system? What torque do they exert about the given axis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook