Angular Momentum and Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass attached to a pulley with a cord. The questions ask for the magnitude of net torque, the total angular momentum, and the acceleration of the mass. The person attempted to use various equations but got stuck and is seeking help.
falco451

Homework Statement

I was just doing some extra credit problems and couldn't figure this one out.
I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

A mass of 5.6 kg is attached to a light cord, which is wound around a pulley. The pulley is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 7.3 cm and mass 2.7 kg.

1 - What is the magnitude of the net torque on the system about the point on the axis at the center of the pulley? ( in N m)

2 - When the mass has a speed of v = 49 m/s, the pulley has an angular speed of w = v/R
Determine the magnitude of the total angular momentum of the system about a point on the axis at the center of the pulley (kg m^2/s)

3 - using the fact that avg torque = dL/ (dt) and your result from the previous section, calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the mass. (m/s^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using torque = inertia x angular acceleration
(mr^2)
I also tried
F = mg - ma = 5.6*9.81 - 5.6*a
so τ = F*R = (mg - ma)*R
I = 1/2*mR^2 = 1/2*2.7*0..073^2 = 0.007194 kgm^2 but got stuck and this didn't seem right.

I am just really confused. Thanks for all your help

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the system? What torque do they exert about the given axis?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum is conserved in an isolated system, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that when a torque is applied to an object, its angular momentum will change in the direction of the torque.

3. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's straight-line motion. Angular momentum is also a vector quantity, while linear momentum is a scalar quantity.

4. How does changing the moment of inertia affect an object's angular momentum?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia will result in a smaller angular velocity for a given angular momentum, and vice versa.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object's angular velocity is in the opposite direction of its moment of inertia. Negative angular momentum is often referred to as "spin" in physics.