Angular Momentum and Torque of a Moving Particle

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the angular momentum and torque of a 2.9-kg particle with respect to the origin of a given coordinate system. The particle is located at (r) = 3.3 m (x) + 1.8 m (y) and has a velocity of (v) = -4.1 m/s (x) + 2.6 m/s (y). A force of (F) = 2.7 N (x) + 1.4 N (y) is acting on the particle. The equations for angular momentum and torque are L = r x mv and T = r x F. Attempting to find the magnitude by
agargento

Homework Statement

A 2.9-kg particle P is located at [(r)\vec] = 3.3 m [^(x)] + 1.8 m [^(y)] from the origin of the x-y coordinate system shown in the Figure. It moves with a velocity of [(v)\vec] = −4.1 m/s [^(x)] + 2.6 m/s [^(y)]. A force, [(F)\vec] = 2.7 N [^(x)] + 1.4 N [^(y)] acts on the particle.

a) What is the magnitude and direction of the angular momentum of the particle with respect to the origin of the coordinate system?
b) What is the magnitude and direction of the torque acting on the particle with respect to the origin of the coordinate system?

‏‏לכידה.PNG

Homework Equations

L = r x mv
T = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried to take the magnitude of the radius r, the mangitude of v, and multiply by the mass. But this doesn't give me the direction... I also tried taking the cross product but it didn't go well, I got confused with the direction and the multiplication... would love some guidance.

Edit: Got the answer. Sorry for littering the forum ;)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
agargento said:
At first I tried to take the magnitude of the radius r, the mangitude of v, and multiply by the mass. But this doesn't give me the direction...
It also won't give you the correct magnitude if you ignored the angle between the vectors...
agargento said:
I also tried taking the cross product but it didn't go well, I got confused with the direction and the multiplication...
Show the details of your attempt using the cross product method. We can't critique what we can't see :smile:

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around a specific axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque related to angular momentum?

Torque is directly proportional to the rate of change of angular momentum. This means that a larger torque will result in a greater change in angular momentum, and vice versa.

How can angular momentum and torque be applied in real life?

Angular momentum and torque are important concepts in physics and are used in various applications such as designing machines, understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and creating efficient sports equipment.