Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Angular momentum commutators

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1

dyn

Hi.
    To show that [ L2 , L+ ] uses the following commutators [ L2 , Lx ] = 0 and [ L2 , Ly ] = 0 . But if [ L2 , Lx ] = 0 this shows that L2 and Lx have simultaneous eigenstates ; but then should L2 and Ly not commute ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

No. If A and B commute so have a common eigenbasis and B and C commute so have a different common eigenbasis, it does not follow that A and C commute and have a common eigenbasis.

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3

dyn

Thanks. So L2 and Lx have a common eigenbasis as the 2 operators commute and L2 and Ly have a different common eigenbasis. But as Lx and Ly do not commute these 2 sets of eigenbases can never be the same ?

5. Mar 15, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A spin-1/2 system is useful because the operators are simple 2x2 matrices. I suggest you work through this example for these AM operators.

Note that the identity operator, ##I##, commutes with everything (and every vector is an eigenvector of ##I##). So, ##I## has a shared eigenbasis with all operators that have an eigenbasis (such as Hermitian operators).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted