1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum conservation

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, guys. I'm not a native english speaker, so don't mind if I wrote something incorrectly (if you find any error or difficulty in what I wrote just inform me, please).

A little ball is hold by a thread of negligible mass which moves round a vertical axis with constant velocity. It keeps a distance of 0,5m from the axis when the anglo θ is equal 30º (as shown in the figure uploaded). The thread goes through a little hole O in a slab and it is slowly pulled up until the angle Θ becomes 60º. What is the thread's lenght pulled? What is the variation factor of velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    L = rxmv, T*senΘ=mv²/R and T*cosΘ-mg = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried solving this question this way:
    "let T1 be the tension when θ1=30º, m*g be the weight and v1 be the velocity. Then we can get tg30º = (m*(v1)²/R1)/(mg) = √3/3 => √3/3*g=v²1/R1 (I)
    and when Θ=60º we have √3g=v²2/R2. (II)
    From these equations I divided I by II:
    1/3= (v1/v2)²*R2/R1 and obtained (III). But we threen unknows (v2, R2, v1) and only one equation.

I imagine the angular momentum might conserve in the perpendicular direction to the plane of motion of the mass once it is slowly pulled up, but I have no idea how to apply this.

P.S.: I used R but it is the same in meaning as d in the figure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2
    You have two equations, (I) and (II). Add to them conservation of angular momentum, and you will have three equations and three unknowns. Solve.

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    That's the problem. I don't know how to apply conservation of angular momentum. I tried M*v1*(R1/tgθ1) = M*v2*(R2/tgθ2) where R/tgθ is the distance from the point O to the plane of motion and it was incorrect. Can you tell me why?

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
    You said that ##R## was the same as ##d## in the figure. Then angular momentum is simply ##m v_1 R_1## and ##m v_2 R_2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted