Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum eigenvalues

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    Hi,

How can you infer from these equations,

[tex]a = b_{max}(b_{max}+\hbar) \quad \text{and} \quad a = b_{min}(b_{min}-\hbar),[/tex]​

that [tex]b_{max} = -b_{min}[/tex]? It is used in the derivation of the angular momentum eigenvalues...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Set them equal. You should find [tex] b^2_{max} + \hbar b_{max} = b^2_{min} - \hbar b_{min} [/tex]. This implies that [tex] b^2_{max} - b^2_{min} = - (b_{max} + b_{min} )\hbar [/tex]. Try factoring the left hand side ...

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    Aarh, very clever indeed :rolleyes:

Thanks!

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4
    Why, you little.... :mad:

That doesn't work since:

[tex] b^2_{max} - b^2_{min} = - (b_{max} + b_{min} )\hbar \quad \Leftrightarrow \quad b_{max} - b_{min} = -\hbar \quad \Leftrightarrow \quad \text{nonsense} [/tex]

What am I missing here??

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, Now.

Physics Monkey's hints were good ones.

All kinds of nonsense can be "proved" by dividing by zero.

Regards,
    George

7. Nov 3, 2005 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have used a reductio ad absurdum argument to prove the required result, i.e., assume that (b_max + b_min) is not equal to zero, divide by (b_max + b_min), arrive at nonsense.

Thus the assumption is false and (b_max + b_min) = 0.

Regards,
    George

8. Nov 3, 2005 #7

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's true. One day, my math teacher told us how we could convince our parents to double our pocket money by showing that A = 2 A (using again some division by zero). My dad's comment was: since A = 2 A, I'll give you half of what you get normally, that shouldn't then make a difference for you :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?