1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Equation

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile of mass m moves to the right with a speed vi. The projectile strikes and sticks to the end of a stationary rod of mass M, of length d, that is pivoted about a frictionless axle through its center.

[​IMG]

(a) Find the angular speed of the system right after the collision. (Use v_i for vi, m, M, and d as appropriate in your equation.)
    (b) Determine the fractional loss in mechanical energy due to the collision. (Use v_i for vi, m, M, and d as appropriate in your equation.)

2. Relevant equations

If[tex]\omega[/tex]f=Ii[tex]\omega[/tex]i
    W= K1-K2

3. The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG]
    i did it like this but for some reason my part (b) is saying that I'm wrong. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    It all looks fine, but question (b) asks about the *fractional* energy loss, so you should divide your final answer by mv^2/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?