1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum/Equations of Kinetics HW Help

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A top is a toy that is made to spin on its pointed end by pulling on a string wrapped around the body of the top. The string has a length of 64 cm and is wrapped around the top at a place where its radius is 2.0 cm. The thickness of the string is negligible. The top is initially at rest. Someone pulls the free end of the string, thereby unwinding it and giving the top an angular acceleration of 12 rad/s^2. What is the final angular velocity of the top when the string is completely unwound?

2. Relevant equations
    Equations of angular kinematics

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that ωinitial is 0 rad/s, and that α is 12 rad/s^2, but I can't set up an equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What angle will the top turn through while the string is unwinding (i.e. while the acceleration is occurring)? How might you relate angular velocity to angular acceleration and angular distance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook