1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum help

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    The figure below is of an overhead view of a thin uniform rod of length 0.790 m and mass M rotating horizontally at angular speed 22.0 rad/s about an axis through its center. A particle of mass M/3.00 attached to one end is ejected from the rod and travels along a path that is perpendicular to the rod at the instant of ejection. If the particle's speed vp is 6.00 m/s greater than the speed of the end of the rod just after ejection, what is the value of vp?
    [​IMG]

Li=Lf, L=Iw, l=rmv

3. The attempt at a solution
    - I haven't been able to attempt this problem because I'm having problems setting it up. I'm trying to set up the initial side right now and I am using 1/12ML^2 for the rod, but unsure what to use for the particle since it's inside of the rod. I think I can solve the problem if I can get past this step.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Use conservation of angular momentum. The angular momentum of the particle about the center is mvr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?