1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum in QM

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to solve a problem dealing with finding the probability of measuring certain values of [tex]L^2[/tex] for a particle.

The particle is on a sphere and is in the state [tex]\Psi (\theta , \phi) = Ne^{\\cos{\theta }}[/tex].

I don't know quite how to start, I guess I have to decompose the wave function in eigenfunctions for [tex]L^2[/tex], and then find the corresponding eigenvalues, and form that find the probability of measuring that particular eigenvalue, but like I said, I don't really know where to start.

Does anybody have any pointers?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, you have to do you wrote. That is try to write your wavefunction as a linear combination of angular momentum eigenstates.

Daniel.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

I've worked some more, and I think I've made some progress :smile:

The eigenfunctions of [tex]\^{L}^2[/tex] are spherical harmonics, but since the wave function is independent of [tex]\phi[/tex], m = 0, i.e [tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi) = \sum_{l} c_{l,0}Y_l^0 [/tex].
    The eigenvalues are [tex]l(l+1)\hbar[/tex]. So I just see which value of [tex]l[/tex] corresponds with the values I'm supposed to find the probability of. The probability is calculated with: [tex]|c_{l}|^2 = |<\Psi|Y_l^0>|^2[/tex]. This is where I'm stuck at the moment. The integrals are really complicated and I can't find them in any books, is there any easier way to calculate this?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Nov 15, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A suggestion: I don't recall the exact form of the[itex] Y^l_0 [/itex], but aren't they simple to write in terms of [itex] (cos \theta)^n [/itex] ? Then you simply have to Taylor expand [itex] e^{cos \theta)} [/itex]. The coefficients will simply be the usual 1/n!. If you have a closed form expression for the [itex] Y^l_0 (cos (\theta) [/itex], then you can find the coeeficients c_l without doing a single integral.

Patrick

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5
    That probably would have worked, but I managed to solve the damn integrals before I read your reply :smile: All it took was some (a lot of) integration by parts, and it turned out ok. Now I can finally rest. :smile:

Thanks for taking the time guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?