Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular momentum in QM

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to solve a problem dealing with finding the probability of measuring certain values of [tex]L^2[/tex] for a particle.

The particle is on a sphere and is in the state [tex]\Psi (\theta , \phi) = Ne^{\\cos{\theta }}[/tex].

I don't know quite how to start, I guess I have to decompose the wave function in eigenfunctions for [tex]L^2[/tex], and then find the corresponding eigenvalues, and form that find the probability of measuring that particular eigenvalue, but like I said, I don't really know where to start.

Does anybody have any pointers?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, you have to do you wrote. That is try to write your wavefunction as a linear combination of angular momentum eigenstates.

Daniel.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

I've worked some more, and I think I've made some progress :smile:

The eigenfunctions of [tex]\^{L}^2[/tex] are spherical harmonics, but since the wave function is independent of [tex]\phi[/tex], m = 0, i.e [tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi) = \sum_{l} c_{l,0}Y_l^0 [/tex].
    The eigenvalues are [tex]l(l+1)\hbar[/tex]. So I just see which value of [tex]l[/tex] corresponds with the values I'm supposed to find the probability of. The probability is calculated with: [tex]|c_{l}|^2 = |<\Psi|Y_l^0>|^2[/tex]. This is where I'm stuck at the moment. The integrals are really complicated and I can't find them in any books, is there any easier way to calculate this?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Nov 15, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A suggestion: I don't recall the exact form of the[itex] Y^l_0 [/itex], but aren't they simple to write in terms of [itex] (cos \theta)^n [/itex] ? Then you simply have to Taylor expand [itex] e^{cos \theta)} [/itex]. The coefficients will simply be the usual 1/n!. If you have a closed form expression for the [itex] Y^l_0 (cos (\theta) [/itex], then you can find the coeeficients c_l without doing a single integral.

Patrick

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5
    That probably would have worked, but I managed to solve the damn integrals before I read your reply :smile: All it took was some (a lot of) integration by parts, and it turned out ok. Now I can finally rest. :smile:

Thanks for taking the time guys!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook