Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum & inertia

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    Hello ppl im very interested in knowing how the world works but i did not study physics and im mentally and especially mathematically challenged so please forgive me my silly question:
    as the angular momentum prevents gyroscope from falling on the side does inertia prevent a bullet(when shot in parallel with the surface) to fall on the ground as quickly as it would if it were just dropped? Is angular momentum and inertia fundamentally the same?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2
    Asking such a question proves you are NOT mentally challanged...and everybody is mathematically challanged in varying degrees. Some of the greatest scientific discoveries were not fully understood until others got a chance to interpret and improve the early attempts. Following Einsteins relativity, for example, it was Minkowski who procalimed the four dimensional spacetime continuum...and Einstein adopted it....

I don't know the exact principles involved but at about the time of the US civil war muskets got upgraded from smooth to "rifle" bore...meaning rotational grooves were made within the rifle barrel to twist/rotate the shot as it passed...the rotational motion (angular momentum) made the shot far more accurate ...I suspect momentum was increased....and had the generals involved been a bit smarter, they would have changed tactics.

The old "line up the men" and fire at the lined up enemy was due in large part to how inaccurate smooth bore muskets previously were....hence the losses in battles with improved weaponry was catastrophically large.
  4. Oct 16, 2008 #3

D H

Staff: Mentor

A bullet does fall to the ground just as quickly as if it were just dropped.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?