Understanding Angular Momentum in Particle Motion

In summary: This is because the angular momentum is a vector quantity and its magnitude and direction can change depending on the reference point chosen. Option 2 is not always true as there are cases where the torque may be zero but the angular momentum is non-zero. Option 3 is also not always true as the speed may be constant but the direction of motion may change, thus changing the angular momentum. Option 4 is not possible as the total angular momentum of a closed system is conserved, so it cannot be zero. And option 5 is not always true as a particle moving in a straight line can have non-zero angular momentum if the reference point
sumitmanhas

Homework Statement

Which of the following is an accurate statement
1) The angular momentum of a moving particle depends on the specific origin with respect to which the angular momentum is calculated.
2) If the torque acting on a particle is zero about an arbitrary origin, then the angular momentum of the particle is also zero about that origin.
3) If the speed of a particle is constant, then the angular momentum of the particle about any specific origin must also be constant.
4) Consider a planet moving in a circular orbit about a star. Even if the planet is spinning it is not possible for its total angular momentum to be zero.
5) A particle moving in a straight line with constant speed necessarily has zero angular momentum.

Homework Equations

conservation of angular momentum and principles

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure whether which one is more accurate among 3,4 , could someone lead me on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps if you could give us your reasoning for each answer we can understand your difficulty. I can see some fairly firm objections to both 3 and 4.

so for the first 1 ) this is likely to be true , which i never thought of because evrytime you calculate your angular momentum you choose the point of rotation and from there using right hand rule determine the direction (in or out)
2) makes no sense because if there is no torque acting on the origin then the angular momentum is constant
3) if speed is constant then angular momentum = mrv is same since the mass remain the same throughout
4)if an object keeps rotating doesn't it have an initial momentum and final momentum which are same , so, i mean it is constant then.
5) particle in straight line can have angular momentum , as in the case of a person jumping of the merry go round with horizontal speed doesnot have zero angular momentum.

reply as soon as possible please

Last edited:
i believe the first one is more accurate...

1. What is angular momentum objective?

Angular momentum objective is a term used in physics to describe the quantity of rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum objective calculated?

Angular momentum objective is calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. Why is angular momentum objective important?

Angular momentum objective is important because it is a conserved quantity in a closed system, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This makes it a valuable concept in understanding the motion and stability of objects.

4. What is the relationship between angular momentum objective and torque?

The relationship between angular momentum objective and torque is defined by the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external torque. This means that if the torque acting on an object is zero, its angular momentum objective will also remain constant.

5. How does angular momentum objective differ from linear momentum objective?

Angular momentum objective and linear momentum objective are both measures of an object's motion, but they differ in the type of motion they describe. Linear momentum objective is a measure of an object's translational motion, while angular momentum objective is a measure of its rotational motion.