Angular momentum of a bullet problem

In summary: OK, so you can use this equation to find the angular momentum of the bullet at point A:L = R##_\perp## p.
Ocsycleen

Homework Statement

A 4 g bullet traveling at 500 m/s strikes a disk of mass 1 kg and
radius 10 cm that is free to rotate around an axis passing through its
center. The bullet’s incoming path is 5 cm above the rotation axis and
the bullet comes to rest in the position shown in the figure. At how
many revolutions per second is the disk is rotating afterwards?
(Ignore the mass of the bullet after it hits the disk.)

https://gyazo.com/7ba8193726c76f57aa6c3ffa9e0c2930

the answer is 3.18 but i can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Homework Equations

L(initial) = L (final)

LDisk = 1/2MR^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here is what i got so far using conservation of angular momentum

R* Mass of Bullet * Velocity of bullet * sin([PLAIN]http://physics-help.info/physicsguide/appendices/si_units_images/image002.gif[/I]) = IDisk * ωFinal
0.1m * (0.004kg)(500)sin([PLAIN]http://physics-help.info/physicsguide/appendices/si_units_images/image002.gif) = (1/2) (1kg) (0.1)^2 * ωFinal

But i can't seem to figure what the theta is in this case and how to incorporate 5cm above the rotation axis into the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

You have the right approach using conservation of angular momentum.

For a refresher on the meaning of θ, look at second paragraph here:
https://cluster31-files.instructure...iles/apb11o/resources/guides/G11-4.angmom.htm

This discussion shows that you don't really need to worry about finding θ in this problem.

Why did you not include the contribution of the bullet to the final moment of inertia ##I##?

Likes TomHart
Thanks.

I did not include the bullet's contribution to the inertia because the problem said to Ignore the mass of the bullet after it hits the disk. I am still confused about how the 5cm above the rotation axis should be used in this problem.

It says to ignore the mass of the bullet after impact so no effect on the moment of inertia.

Ocsycleen said:
I did not include the bullet's contribution to the inertia because the problem said to Ignore the mass of the bullet after it hits the disk.
OK, great. I somehow overlooked that part of the statement of the problem. If you had included the bullet, you would have found that it does not change the answer to 3 significant figures.

I am still confused about how the 5cm above the rotation axis should be used in this problem.
Do you understand why you can write ##L = p r_{\perp}## for the bullet before the collision?

Because the disk is stationary before the bullet hits so right before the moment of impact, the only thing angular momentum that should exist should be for the bullet which is the cross product of r and p.

Ocsycleen said:
Because the disk is stationary before the bullet hits so right before the moment of impact, the only thing angular momentum that should exist should be for the bullet which is the cross product of r and p.
OK. If you understand the meaning of a cross product of two vectors, then you should understand the meaning of θ in the formula
L = r p sinθ.

From the link I gave, you see the following diagram (which I slightly modified)
upload_2016-12-18_19-28-6.png

This shows a particle moving with constant speed along a straight line. Note how θ is indicated for the three positions A, B, and C. Hopefully, that agrees with your understanding of θ. Using trig, can you relate rA, θA, and rB. Note rB is the perpendicular distance from the origin O to the line of travel of the particle.

sin(180-θA) = RB / RA

OK. Can you simplify sin(180-θA) using a trig identity? Then solve your equation for RB in terms of RA and sin θA.

(Note, there is a formatting toolbar that you can use for subscripts, etc.)

RB = sin(θA) * RA

Good. So, how can you express the angular momentum of the particle at point A in terms of RB?

L = P * RB

Yes. Note that RB is the perpendicular distance from the origin to the line along which the particle is traveling. So, you can see now that no matter where the particle is along the line, the angular momentum may be calculated using L = R##_\perp## p.

What is the value of R##_\perp## in your problem?

is it 10cm?

No. Draw a line representing the line along which the bullet is moving. You can extend that line as far as you like. R##_{\perp}## is the shortest distance from the origin (center of disk) to this line. See RB in the previously posted figure.

TSny said:
No. Draw a line representing the line along which the bullet is moving. You can extend that line as far as you like. R##_{\perp}## is the shortest distance from the origin (center of disk) to this line. See RB in the previously posted figure.
Oh it's 5cm

Likes Tenngineer
Yes. Good.

Likes Tenngineer
So the left hand side of the equation should be
R * P = IDisk * ωFinal

But is there something else i am missing here?

##r
Ocsycleen said:
So the left hand side of the equation should be
R * P = IDisk * ωFinal
Yes, that's it.
But is there something else i am missing here?
I don't think so. Why do you feel unsure?

Note, however, that the question asks for the number of revolutions per second. So, make sure you express your answer in those units.

Ok yea. i think i did a little miscalculation and converted my final answer to rpm instead. Thanks for the help.

Good work.

1. What is the definition of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is the measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a bullet?

In the context of a bullet problem, angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of a bullet as it travels through the air. The bullet's angular momentum is affected by factors such as its shape, mass, and velocity.

3. Why is angular momentum important in a bullet problem?

Angular momentum is important in a bullet problem because it helps us understand the bullet's trajectory and how it interacts with its surroundings. It also plays a role in determining the bullet's stability and accuracy.

4. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to a bullet problem?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. In a bullet problem, this means that the bullet's angular momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force, such as air resistance or gravity.

5. Can the angular momentum of a bullet be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a bullet can be changed by altering its moment of inertia or angular velocity. This can be achieved by changing the bullet's shape, mass, or speed. However, the total angular momentum of the system will always remain constant.