How Is Angular Momentum Calculated for a Spinning Coin?

In summary: You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:A coin of diameter 1.9 cm is spinning at 15 rev/s about a vertical diameter at a fixed point on a tabletop.Its moment of inertia is 1/4MR^2.(A)What is the angular momentum of the coin about a point on the line of motion of the center of mass?(B)What is the angular momentum of the coin about a point 10 cm from the line of motion?(
royguitarboy

Homework Statement

A 11 g coin of diameter 1.9 cm is spinning at 15 rev/s about a vertical diameter at a fixed point on a tabletop. A coin is a solid cylinder of length L and radius R, where L is negligible compared to R. Its moment of inertia is 1/4MR^2.

(A)What is its angular momentum about a point on the table 10 cm from the coin?

For the following questions, assume the coin spins about a vertical diameter at 15 rev/s while its center of mass travels in a straight line across the tabletop at 5 cm/s.

(B)What is the angular momentum of the coin about a point on the line of motion of the center of mass?

(C)What is the angular momentum of the coin about a point 10 cm from the line of motion?

Homework Equations

L=r*p
L=I *omega

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried L= r*p, where p equals m*v, and r was .1m, m was .011kg, and v was omega times the radius of the coin, which gave me an angular momentum of 9.85e-4. I know this isn't right.

For B should I add the angular momentum and the linear momentum?

And for C, if I can figure out A, I might be able to do that with C.

Physics news on Phys.org
royguitarboy said:
I tried L= r*p, where p equals m*v, and r was .1m, m was .011kg, and v was omega times the radius of the coin, which gave me an angular momentum of 9.85e-4. I know this isn't right.
That's the formula for the angular momentum of a point mass. It should read:
[tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex]

But that's not what you need for A. Use [itex]L = I \omega[/itex].

For B should I add the angular momentum and the linear momentum?
You need to add the angular momentum about the center of mass (the result of A) and the angular moment of the center of mass (using the linear momentum of the coin, as described by the first equation above). Be sensitive to the difference between B and C.

[itex]L = I \omega[/itex] just gives me the angular momentum about the center of mass though right? How do I account for a distance 10cm from that point?

royguitarboy said:
[itex]L = I \omega[/itex] just gives me the angular momentum about the center of mass though right?
Right.
How do I account for a distance 10cm from that point?
By calculating the angular momentum of the center of mass using the equation I gave:
[tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex]

Ok, now I'm really confused about this. For part A, I need to use [tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex] where p is mass times velocity?

royguitarboy said:
Ok, now I'm really confused about this. For part A, I need to use [tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex] where p is mass times velocity?
No, that's not needed for part A. All you need is [itex]L = I \omega[/itex].

ok I got you now. Now part B, I need to add part A to [tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex] ?

Exactly.

I'm confused as to which r, I should use for each part. In the the r X p part, the r is .05m right? So the total momentum is:

I(omega) + r X p

so I got 2.34e-5 + .05m X (.011)([tex]\omega[/tex]*(.019/2) ?

The r to use in the r X p part is specified as 10 cm in parts a and c, the distance to the coin. Note that they don't bother to specify a distance in part b--there's a good reason for that. Also, the p is the linear momentum of the coin. Note also that r X p is a vector cross product--direction counts.

Ok. I think I might have it. So for C, I need to add what I got in part B to the cross product of v and p, and subtract it, cause there should be two answers. Is that right? Well, I'm kind of confused about how to exactly do the cross product, we didn't really go over that.Edit: Never mind the above part. I got it!

You're a genius

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum, symbolized as L, is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum of a coin calculated?

The angular momentum of a coin can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the coin by its radius squared, and then multiplying that by its angular velocity.

3. Does the size of the coin affect its angular momentum?

Yes, the angular momentum of a coin is directly proportional to its radius. This means that a larger coin will have a greater angular momentum compared to a smaller coin with the same mass and angular velocity.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a spinning coin?

Angular momentum is conserved in a spinning coin because of the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. As the coin spins, its moment of inertia decreases, but its angular velocity increases in order to maintain a constant angular momentum.

5. Can the angular momentum of a coin change?

Yes, the angular momentum of a coin can change if there is an external torque acting on it. This can be seen when a spinning coin is affected by friction or air resistance, causing it to slow down and eventually stop spinning. In this case, the angular momentum of the coin decreases as its angular velocity decreases.