Angular momentum of a mass-rope-mass system

In summary, the motion equations for ##m_2## are: $$T-m_2 g=0 \rightarrow T=m_2 g$$##m_1##: $$T=m_1\frac{v^2}{r_0} \rightarrow \vec {v_0}=\sqrt{\frac{r_0 g m_2}{m_1}}\hat{\theta}$$The system has two equations of motion: one in polar coordinates and one in cartesian coordinates. The polar equation involves the radial acceleration and is given by $$-T+m_2 g= m_2 a_r \rightarrow a_r= -\frac{T}{m_2}+g$$In the cartesian equation
Santilopez10
Homework Statement
Two bodies ##m_1## and ##m_2## are connected by an ideal rope, which passes through a whole of an horizontal table free of friction; ##m_1## moves along a circular trajectory of radius ##r_0##, ##m_2## hangs below the table:
1) Find an expression for ##v_{0_1}## that ##m_1## must have so that ##m_2## is stationary.
2) Suposse that as ##m_1## moves with ##v_{0_1}##, ##m_2## mass duplicates. Find the angular momentum of ##m_1##. Is it constant?
Relevant Equations
##\vec a= (\ddot r-r{\dot{\theta}}^2)\hat r +(r \ddot{\theta} + 2\dot r \dot{\theta}) \hat{\theta}##
##\vec L= \vec r \times \vec p##
1) the motion equations for ##m_2## are: $$T-m_2 g=0 \rightarrow T=m_2 g$$
##m_1##: $$T=m_1\frac{v^2}{r_0} \rightarrow \vec {v_0}=\sqrt{\frac{r_0 g m_2}{m_1}}\hat{\theta}$$

2) This is where I am stuck, first I wrote ##m_2## motion equation just like before, but in polar coordinates: $$-T+m_2 g= m_2 a_r \rightarrow a_r= -\frac{T}{m_2}+g$$
##m_1##: $$\hat r: -T=m_1 a_r=m_1(-\frac{T}{m_2}+g) \rightarrow T=g \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1-m_2}$$
and at last I have a kind of system of equations:
$$\hat{\theta}:r \ddot{\theta}+2\dot r \dot{\theta}=0$$
$$\hat r: -g \frac{m_2}{m_1-m_2}=\ddot r-r {\dot{\theta}}^2$$

This is all I could do, I think I might be missing some assumption or condition, but honestly I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have ##m_1##, ##r_0## and ##v##. Suppose you write out the definition of angular momentum in terms of ##I## and ##\omega##, and then make the appropriate substitutions.

tnich said:
You have ##m_1##, ##r_0## and ##v##. Suppose you write out the definition of angular momentum in terms of ##I## and ##\omega##, and then make the appropriate substitutions.
I do not know what ##I## is, if it is the moment of inertia, then it has not been taught yet. We have already developed the equation of angular momentum for central forces: $$\vec L= m r^2 \dot{\theta} \hat k$$
but still I need to find and expression for r and ##\omega##= ##\dot{\theta}## as functions of time to use them in my formulas.

It seems to me that the radius is given in the definitions at the beginning of the problem statement as ##r_0##. To get ##\dot\theta##, figure out the time it would take mass ##m_1## to complete one full circle (from part 1 you already know its speed, and you can figure out the circumference), and divide it into the angle it revolves through in one full circle. That gives you the angular rate.

tnich said:
It seems to me that the radius is given in the definitions at the beginning of the problem statement as ##r_0##. To get ##\dot\theta##, figure out the time it would take mass ##m_1## to complete one full circle (from part 1 you already know its speed, and you can figure out the circumference), and divide it into the angle it revolves through in one full circle. That gives you the angular rate.
the system is not stationary, r is not constant. What I thought would be taking the initial angular momentum and because the force is central then angular momentum is conserved, then the initial angular momentum is constant.

Santilopez10 said:
the system is not stationary, r is not constant.
That is not apparent from the problem statement. Can you tell me why you say that? Perhaps the phrase "##m_2## mass duplicates" in the problem statement is copied incorrectly? I can't parse it.

tnich said:
That is not apparent from the problem statement. Can you tell me why you say that? Perhaps the phrase "##m_2## mass duplicates" in the problem statement is copied incorrectly? I can't parse it.
##m_2## or particle 2 mass duplicate, A.K.A ##m_2’=2m_2## so the system is not stationary anymore.

So you are saying that mass ##m_1## has velocity ##v_0## at time ##t=t_0##. It must also have an initial radius of revolution. Why not call that ##r_0##? Certainly you can write an expression for the angular momentum at time ##t_0##. Have you studied conservation of angular momentum, yet? Do you think that principle applies in this case?

Likes Santilopez10
tnich said:
So you are saying that mass ##m_1## has velocity ##v_0## at time ##t=t_0##. It must also have an initial radius of revolution. Why not call that ##r_0##? Certainly you can write an expression for the angular momentum at time ##t_0##. Have you studied conservation of angular momentum, yet? Do you think that principle applies in this case?
Yes, we have studied it. The rate of change of the angular momentum is the torque applied to the system, but torque is 0 in this case as the position and force vectors are parallel with respect to our origin (the hole). Then angular momentum is constant, and with the initial conditions we can get an answer. Is this reasoning okay?

Likes tnich
Santilopez10 said:
Yes, we have studied it. The rate of change of the angular momentum is the torque applied to the system, but torque is 0 in this case as the position and force vectors are parallel with respect to our origin (the hole). Then angular momentum is constant, and with the initial conditions we can get an answer. Is this reasoning okay?
Yes. Your understanding of the problem matches mine. No calculation is required to reach the conclusion that angular momentum is constant.

Likes Santilopez10

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for a mass-rope-mass system?

The angular momentum of a mass-rope-mass system can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the system by its angular velocity.

3. What factors can affect the angular momentum of a mass-rope-mass system?

The angular momentum of a mass-rope-mass system can be affected by changes in the mass or length of the rope, changes in the mass or distribution of the masses at either end of the rope, and changes in the rotational speed of the system.

4. Is angular momentum conserved in a mass-rope-mass system?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

5. How is angular momentum useful in understanding the motion of a mass-rope-mass system?

Angular momentum is useful in understanding the motion of a mass-rope-mass system because it helps to explain how the system rotates and how the masses at either end of the rope move in relation to each other.