Angular momentum of a merry-go-round

In summary: So, convert your rpm values to rad/sec and then use the equation L=I*omega. Remember, the total angular momentum must be conserved, so the final angular velocity should be the same as the initial.
quick
1) A merry-go-round is a common piece of playground equipment. A 3.0-m-diameter merry-go-round with a mass of 250 kg is spinning at 20 rpm. John runs tangent to the merry-go-round at 5.0 m/s, in the same direction that it is turning, and jumps onto the outer edge. John's mass is 30 kg. What is the merry-go-round's angular velocity, in rpm, after John jumps on?

i know how to solve it i could find the moment of inertia for john but i don't think that is easy to do. since the rotation is about an axis of symmetry, the angular momentum L = I*omega is parallel to omega. so all of the angular momentums will be the same. i had L_final = I_disk*omega_f + I_john*omega_f = L_i = I_disk*omega_i.
but again I am not sure how to find the moment of inertia for john or even if this is the correct method to go about this.

2) A 10 g bullet traveling at 400 m/s strikes a 10 kg, 1.0-m-wide door at the edge opposite the hinge. The bullet embeds itself in the door, causing the door to swing open. What is the angular velocity of the door just after impact?

i know this is an inelastic collision and i could find the velocity of the door after the impact but am not sure how to find the angular velocity since it is connected to the door.

any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both questions look like conservation of angular momentum.

For the first one, I think you may have to treat john as a particle and make his moment of inertia mr^2. At the beginning john has angular momentum, so your initial angular momentum would be: I_disk*omega_f + I_john*omega_john. Also, keep in mind, the final angular velocity of both john and the ferris wheel are the same.

For two, again angular momentum is conserved. Try to find an expression for the initial angular momentum of the door and the bullet and also the final. Btw, angular momentum is conserved because the bullet does not apply a constant torque.

ok for the first question, i have the initial angular momentum as (1/2)(m_disk)(radius)^2*(omega_i) + m_john*radius^2*(omega_john){which using v = r*omega, i get v/r}/ (1/2)*m_disk*radius^2 + m_john*radius^2. after doing that, i still get the wrong answer. should the disk spin faster after john gets on or slower? i would think it would be faster but i was getting a slower answer. am i doing this wrong still or not?
the answer i got was 16.77 rpm but that's wrong.

Make sure you are using the right units. The angular momentum must be in radians/sec.

1. What is angular momentum and how does it relate to a merry-go-round?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotation or spin around an axis. In the context of a merry-go-round, it refers to the rotational energy of the ride as it spins around its central axis.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for a merry-go-round?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity (speed of rotation). For a merry-go-round, the moment of inertia depends on the mass and distribution of the riders and the angular velocity is the speed at which the ride is spinning.

3. Does the angular momentum of a merry-go-round change?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a merry-go-round will remain the same as long as there is no external force or torque acting on it.

4. How does the angular momentum of a merry-go-round affect the ride experience?

The angular momentum of a merry-go-round determines the rate of rotation and can affect the ride experience by determining the speed and stability of the ride. A higher angular momentum will result in a faster and more stable ride, while a lower angular momentum may result in a slower and less stable ride.

5. Can the angular momentum of a merry-go-round be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a merry-go-round can be changed by altering the speed of rotation or by adding or removing mass from the ride. For example, if riders move closer to the center of the ride, the moment of inertia decreases and the ride will spin faster, resulting in a change in angular momentum.