Angular momentum of a particle

In summary: So the angular momentum is v cos\theta times the perpendicular distance, which is h. So the angular momentum is v cos^2\theta times h.The cosine comes from the fact that the angular momentum is perpendicular to the plane of motion. So the component of the momentum perpendicular to the plane of motion is mv cos\theta. Multiply by the perpendicular distance h and you get the correct answer.In summary, we can find the angular momentum of a particle in a gravitational field by using the equation L=rmv sin\theta and taking into account the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation. At the maximum height of the particle's trajectory, the angular momentum can be calculated using the equation L=mv cos^2\
UrbanXrisis
A particle of mass m is shot with an initial velocity v, and makes and angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the horizontal as show http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip001.jpg
The particle moves in the gravitational field of the Earth. What is the momentum of the particle at the highest point of its trajectory?

since I honestly do not have a clue as to how to do this problem, I will say what I know.

[tex]angular momentum=L=rXp=rXmv=rmvsin\theta[/tex]
[tex]r=\frac{R}{2}tan\theta[/tex]
[tex]L=rmvsin\theta[/tex]
[tex]L=\frac{R}{2}tan\theta mv sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]L=\frac{rmvsin^2\theta}{2cos\theta}[/tex]

the actual answer is:
[tex]L=\frac{-mv^3sin^2\theta cos\theta}{2g}k[/tex]
it seems like I have to use the cross product to get that answer. I'm acually really lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the sense of "k" is,i'll give you the modulus:

[tex] |\vec{L}|=\frac{mv^{3}\sin^{2}\theta \cos\theta}{2g} [/tex]

How do you u find the modulus...?

Daniel.

P.S.HINT:U'll need the height...

UrbanXrisis said:
A particle of mass m is shot with an initial velocity v, and makes and angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the horizontal as show http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip001.jpg
The particle moves in the gravitational field of the Earth. What is the momentum of the particle at the highest point of its trajectory?
I assume the problem is to find the angular momentum of the particle about some point on the ground?
since I honestly do not have a clue as to how to do this problem, I will say what I know.

[tex]angular momentum=L=rXp=rXmv=rmvsin\theta[/tex]
So far, so good.
What's the velocity of the particle at the top of the motion? (Hint: what's the horizontal speed of the particle?)

You need to learn how to interpret the cross-product. "r X mv" can be replaced by "perpendicular distance to the particle's velocity" times mv. Since the velocity is parallel to the ground, the perpendicular distance is just the height. (What's the height?)

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what I tried to do...

the distance on the floor that it traveled it R/2 when it reaches it's max height right?

So, tanX=O/A
O= opposite side
A= adjacent side

R/2 * tanX= A
so the height is:
[tex]h=\frac{R}{2}tan\theta[/tex]

No,u don't need R,you need to apply the kinematical relations to find "h"* as a function of "v","g" and "theta"...

Daniel.

-------------------------------------
EDIT:*You denoted the height by "r".

UrbanXrisis said:
that's what I tried to do...

the distance on the floor that it traveled it R/2 when it reaches it's max height right?
You are getting hung up by using "R". Forget it. As dex says, all you need is basic kinematics of projectile motion. Hint: You are given the initial speed (v) and the initial angle ([itex]\theta[/itex]).

[tex]h=\frac{v^2sin\theta ^2}{2g}[/tex]
[tex]L=rmv cos\theta[/tex]

got it, thanks.

my next question is... why would the angular momentum of the object right before it touches the groud use the distance traveled instead of the "height"?

such as... I used
for the r value when the object is at its highest height
why would I not use 0 for the height when the object is about to hit the ground?
Instead I use:[tex]h=\frac{v^2sin2\theta ^2}{g}[/tex]

The angular momentum uses the distance from the point where the body is to the center.The center in this case is simply the half-way mark of the horizontal distance traveled,namely the point of coordinates (R/2,0)...

The "height" in this case is zero,the point of landing has the coordinates (R,0)...

Daniel.

UrbanXrisis said:
my next question is... why would the angular momentum of the object right before it touches the groud use the distance traveled instead of the "height"?
As always, [itex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = r p sin\theta[/itex]. In this case, r = R. :smile:

(Apparently you are calculating the angular momentum about the point O.)

[tex]h=\frac{v^2sin\theta ^2}{2g}[/tex] is not even the radius. It is the vertical distance from the ground up.
However, [tex]h=\frac{v^2sin2\theta ^2}{g}[/tex]
is the horizontal distance from point O. Why would I use the vertical distance in one situation then use the horizontal distance?

UrbanXrisis said:
[tex]h=\frac{v^2sin\theta ^2}{2g}[/tex] is not even the radius. It is the vertical distance from the ground up.
Right. It's also [itex]r sin\theta[/itex].
However, [tex]h=\frac{v^2sin2\theta ^2}{g}[/tex]
is the horizontal distance from point O.
This equals r. (Don't forget the [itex]sin\theta[/itex].)
Why would I use the vertical distance in one situation then use the horizontal distance?
In both cases you must calculate [itex]r p sin\theta[/itex]. Each case is different. In the first case, the easy way is to calculate the perpendicular distance (the height, which is easy to calculate). In the second case, [itex]r sin\theta[/itex] is easier to calculate directly.

was my work correct? how did the cosine get in there?

UrbanXrisis said:

was my work correct? how did the cosine get in there?
Your answer is correct, but when you ask "how did the cosine get in there" I have to wonder how you got the answer!

The speed of the particle at the maximum height is [itex]v cos\theta[/itex].

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical property of a particle that describes its rotational motion. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance of a particle from a fixed point.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of a particle is calculated by multiplying its mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point. The formula is L = mvr, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is the distance from the fixed point.

3. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of translational motion. Angular momentum takes into account the distance from a fixed point, while linear momentum does not.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total angular momentum of all particles within the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. What is the significance of angular momentum in physics?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It helps explain the behavior of objects in rotational motion and is important in understanding the conservation of energy and momentum in physical systems.