1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum of a Spinning Coin

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to calculate the angular momentum of a coin spinning about a vertical diameter about its center of mass. Given is mass, diameter, and angular velocity. I thought it would be [tex]L=\frac{1}{4}MR^2\omega[/tex]. The angular momentum about a point away from the coin I thought would be [tex]L=\frac{1}{4}MR^2\omega + Mh^2\omega[/tex] where [tex]h[/tex] is the distance from the axis containing the diameter of the coin to the point away from the coin. And if the coin's center of mass were moving in a straight line while doing the two above things, then I thought that to each of those would be added [tex]MvR[/tex]. I'm guessing that it is just something simple that I missed in the beginning which propagated the error through the other parts of the problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What exactly is the motion of the coin? If it's just spinning about a vertical diameter, you would be correct that the angular momentum is (treating the coin as a thin disk):
    [tex]L=\frac{1}{4}MR^2\omega[/tex]
    I do not understand the second term in your second equation. Is the coin also revolving about some point with the same angular speed as it is rotating?

4. Mar 31, 2004 #3
    For the sake of clarity, I will just post the whole question.

A 10 g coin of diameter 1.3 cm is spinning at 16 rev/s about a vertical diameter at a fixed point on a tabletop.

(a) What is the angular momentum of the coin about its center of mass?
    (b) What is its angular momentum about a point on the table 10 cm from the coin?
    (c) If the coin spins about a vertical diameter at 16 rev/s while its center of mass travels in a straight line across the tabletop at 5 cm/s, what is the angular momentum of the coin about a point on the line of motion?
    (d) What is the angular momentum of the coin about a point 10 cm from the line of motion? (There are two answers to this question.)

I appreciate your help.

5. Mar 31, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Much clearer. :smile:

This may help you: the angular momentum of an object is the sum of:
    (1) the angular momentum of the center of mass
    (2) the angular momentum about the center of mass

Thus:
    a: See previous post
    b: What's the movement of the center of mass?
    c: See above
    d: See above (there are two answers since you could be on either side of the line of motion)

6. Jul 20, 2004 #5
    hi, sorry but I am a little slow
    Can you explain to me how did you get the formula for the angular momentum please
    Thanks for the help

7. Jul 21, 2004 #6

Doc Al

Welcome to PF, ChanDdoi.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Which formula are you asking about?

In general, if an object rotates about an axis, the magnitude of the angular momentum will be [itex]L = I\omega[/itex], where I is the rotational inertia about that axis and [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular speed.

8. Jul 21, 2004 #7
    Well, why would the inertia of the coin be [tex]\frac{1}{4}MR^2\[/tex] i just can't seem to figure it out *may be cuz i'm slow*
    The book said if you treat it as a disk then the inertia would be [tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2\[/tex] and if I try to treat it as a sum of bars since it is spinning on a vertical axis then I got lost with the integrals and stuff . Either way I just cannot seem to get that [tex]\frac{1}{4}MR^2\[/tex]

btw, thanks for welcoming me to PF

9. Jul 21, 2004 #8

Doc Al

rotational inertia of disk about diameter

Now I see your question: How to find the rotational inertia of a disk spinning about a diameter. If you would like help with the integral, post what you've got and someone will give you a hand.

But the smart way is to use the perpendicular axis theorem.

Note:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]
    is the rotational inertia of a disk rotating about a perpendicular axis through its center.
    [tex]\frac{1}{4}MR^2[/tex]
    is the rotational inertia of a disk rotating about a diameter. The perpendicular axis theorem gives a simple way to calculate one from the other. Here's a link that explains it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/perpx.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?