Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular momentum of the earth

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    I'm stuck on the second part of a problem and can't seem to get the right answer:

Calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum of the earth due to its rotation around an axis through the north and south poles. Treat the earth as a uniform sphere of radius 6.38*10^6 that makes one revolution in 24.0 hours. (m=5.97*10^24)

I got the answer 1.77*10^34 but it's wrong :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show your work. Explain how you got your answer.

4. Apr 22, 2005 #3
    I found the moment of Inertia (mr^2) to be = 2.43*10^38. Then found the angular velocity to be (2pi)/(24*60*60). Using the equation I=m*r^2, I got 1.77*10^34

5. Apr 22, 2005 #4

Doc Al

That's the moment of inertial of a particle, not a solid sphere about its center. The one you want is [itex]I = 2/5 m r^2[/itex].

6. Apr 22, 2005 #5
    Thanks for that! I tried looking on the internet for the moment of Inertia of the earth and was getting all sorts of weird numbers no wonder it wasn't working.

7. Apr 22, 2005 #6

jtbell

Every "General Physics" textbook I've ever seen has a table of formulas for moment of inertia of various shapes of objects. What kind of a course are you taking?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook