Angular Momentum of wood door

In summary, a solid wood door with a mass of 41.0 kg is struck by a handful of sticky mud with a mass of 0.700 kg traveling at 11.0 m/s. To solve this problem, conservation of angular momentum must be used, as the hinge will provide external force. The formula for angular momentum is mvr sin(theta), where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. The angular momentum of the door can be found by multiplying its angular velocity with its angular momentum about the axis.
mvpshaq32

Homework Statement

A solid wood door 1.00 m wide and 2.00 m high is hinged along one side and has a total mass of 41.0 kg. Initially open and at rest, the door is struck at its center by a handful of sticky mud with mass 0.700 kg, traveling perpendicular to the door at 11.0 m/s just before impact.

Homework Equations

L=rmv=I(omega)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use conservation of momentum, but I have no idea how to set up the problem of turning linear momentum into angular momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use conservation of linear and angular momentum.

rl.bhat said:
You have to use conservation of linear and angular momentum.

you cannot use conservation of linear momentum. The hinge will provide external force.

mvpshaq32 said:
I know I have to use conservation of momentum,

you have to use conservation of angular momentum.

mvpshaq32 said:
but I have no idea how to set up the problem of turning linear momentum into angular momentum.

angular momentum = mvr sin(theta)

find angular momentum of door about the axis and multiply with angular velocity to get angular momentum.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and principles involved. The key variables in this scenario are the mass and velocity of the mud, the mass and dimensions of the door, and the location and type of hinge. The principles involved include conservation of momentum and the relationship between linear and angular momentum.

To solve this problem, I would first calculate the initial linear momentum of the mud, which is given by the product of its mass and velocity (p=m*v). Then, using the principle of conservation of momentum, I would set this initial linear momentum equal to the final linear momentum of the system, which includes the door and the mud stuck to it.

Next, I would calculate the angular momentum of the door using the equation L=I*omega, where I is the moment of inertia and omega is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia for a rectangular object can be calculated using the formula I=(1/12)*m*(h^2+w^2), where m is the mass, h is the height, and w is the width. Since the door is initially at rest, the initial angular velocity is zero.

Then, I would use the principle of conservation of angular momentum to equate the initial angular momentum of the door to the final angular momentum, which includes the mud stuck to it. This would allow me to solve for the final angular velocity of the door.

Finally, I would use the relationship between linear and angular velocity (v=r*omega) to calculate the final linear velocity of the door, which would tell me how fast the door would be moving after the collision.

In summary, to solve for the angular momentum of a wood door struck by a handful of sticky mud, I would use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum, along with the relationship between linear and angular momentum, to calculate the final angular velocity and linear velocity of the door.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular Momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion, which is a product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is a vector quantity and is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant unless an external torque is applied.

2. How is Angular Momentum related to a wood door?

A wood door can have angular momentum if it is rotating around a fixed axis, such as its hinges. The angular momentum of the door is dependent on its moment of inertia, which is affected by the door's mass and distribution of mass relative to its axis of rotation, and its angular velocity, which is how fast the door is rotating.

3. Can the Angular Momentum of a wood door be changed?

Yes, the Angular Momentum of a wood door can be changed if an external torque is applied. For example, if someone pushes or pulls on the door while it is rotating, the door's angular momentum will change. Additionally, the door's angular momentum can be changed by changing its moment of inertia or its angular velocity.

4. What factors affect the Angular Momentum of a wood door?

The Angular Momentum of a wood door is affected by its moment of inertia, which is determined by its mass and distribution of mass relative to its axis of rotation. It is also affected by its angular velocity, which is how fast the door is rotating. Additionally, external torques can affect the door's angular momentum.

5. Why is it important to consider the Angular Momentum of a wood door?

Understanding the Angular Momentum of a wood door is important for several reasons. It can help determine how much force is needed to open or close the door, as well as how fast the door will rotate. It is also important in engineering and design, as it can affect the stability and safety of the door. Additionally, understanding angular momentum can help with conservation of energy and predicting the behavior of the door in different situations.