1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum operator algebra

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-4-12_18-18-23.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This whole thing about angular momentum has me totally confused and stumped, but I am trying this problem given in a youtube video lecture I watched.

I know of this equation
    ##L^{2} = L_{\pm}L_{\mp} + L_{z}^{2} \mp \hbar L_{z}##
    ##L^{2}f = \lambda f##
    ##L_{z}f = \mu f##

In the case ##L^{2}f = 2 \hbar^{2}f##, the eigenvalue ##\lambda = 2 \hbar^{2}##

So I expand
    $$L^{2}f = (L_{-}L_{+} + L_{z}^{2} + \hbar L_{z})f$$
    But, I don't know what ##L_{z}## should be. Also, how do I know if I should pick ##L_{-}L_{+}## or ##L_{+}L_{-}##?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a little puzzled by the examples, because normally [itex]L^2[/itex] has eigenvalues [itex]\hbar^2 l(l+1)[/itex], where [itex]l[/itex] is a nonnegative integer. For your second example, [itex]l[/itex] would have to be fractional. It's possible for the total angular momentum (which includes both spin angular momentum and orbital angular momentum) to be fractional, but usually [itex]L[/itex] refers to orbital angular momentum.

But in any case, it's overkill to consider raising and lowering operators. The fact that's relevant is that if [itex]L^2[/itex] has the value [itex]\hbar^2 l(l+1)[/itex], then [itex]L_z[/itex] can take on any of the following values:
    • [itex]l[/itex]
    • [itex]l-1[/itex]
    • [itex]l-2[/itex]
    • [itex]-l[/itex]

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Hi stevedaryl,

sorry for my late response. I was able to go to my prof's office and get some help on this. Using your post alone, I was not equipped with the necessary understanding to answer this question. I needed to understand the sphere with cones inside to get some intuition for what ##l## and ##m## mean. After rereading your response, it makes sense what you were saying, I just needed to know about ##m##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted