Angular momentum operator derived from Lorentz invariance

In summary, the authors of "Lessons in Particle Physics" define the operator ##L_{\mu\nu} = i( x_\mu \partial \nu - x_\nu \partial \mu)## and state that ##L_{23}## represents the x component of angular momentum. However, when reviewing the Schrodinger equation, it is found that ##L_{1}## is actually equal to minus the x component of angular momentum. This discrepancy is explained by the contravariant components of the four vector ##x^{\mu}## and the corresponding diagonal matrix ##g_{\mu\nu}=\rm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)##. The "like" button can be
Gene Naden
I am working through Lessons in Particle Physics by Luis Anchordoqui and Francis Halzen; the link is https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf. I am on page 11, equation 1.3.20. The authors have defined an operator ##L_{\mu\nu} = i( x_\mu \partial \nu - x_\nu \partial \mu)##. They state that ##L_{23}## is the x component of angular momentum. Reviewing the Schrodinger equation, I see that the momentum operator ##\vec{p} = -i \nabla##, from which I get

##\partial_1=i p_{1}## and ##\partial_2 = i p_{2}##.

Substituting these in the definition for L, I get ##L_1 = L_{23} = i(x_2 i p_3 - x_3 i p_2) = - (\vec{r} \times \vec{p})_1##

So I get ##L_{1}## equal to minus the x component of the angular momentum. I am wondering where I went wrong. I have worked through about 20 equations in this reference and have never found an error!

Physics news on Phys.org
The contravariant components of the four vector ##x^{\mu}## are
$$x_\mu=g_{\mu\nu}x^\nu$$ where ##g_{\mu\nu}=\rm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)##, which explains the minus sign.

Likes Gene Naden
Thank you. There doesn't seem to be a "like" button, or I would "like" your response.

You are welcome. There is a like button to the bottom right of each post. But, you need to have your mouse point over the relevant post. Please, see the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2018-02-18 15-40-49.png
    Screenshot at 2018-02-18 15-40-49.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 617

1. What is the Angular Momentum Operator?

The Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the rotation of a physical system. It is associated with the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How is the Angular Momentum Operator derived from Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged in all inertial reference frames. The Angular Momentum Operator is derived from this principle by using the Lorentz transformation equations to describe the rotation of a physical system in different frames of reference.

3. What is the significance of deriving the Angular Momentum Operator from Lorentz invariance?

Deriving the Angular Momentum Operator from Lorentz invariance provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and their relationship to angular momentum. It also allows for the application of the operator in a wider range of physical systems and scenarios.

4. How is the Angular Momentum Operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Angular Momentum Operator is used to describe the angular momentum of particles, such as electrons, in an atom. It is also used to calculate the energy levels and transitions of these particles, providing valuable insights into the behavior of matter on a microscopic scale.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Angular Momentum Operator derived from Lorentz invariance?

While the Angular Momentum Operator is a powerful tool in describing the rotation of physical systems, it is limited to systems that are in equilibrium or have a constant angular momentum. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity or other external forces.