Angular Momentum Operator

leviathanX777
The operators used for the x and y components of angular momentum are:

7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%7Bz%7D%7D%20%20-%20z%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%7By%7D%7D).jpg

7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%7Bx%7D%7D%20%20-%20x%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%7Bz%7D%7D).jpg

Show that Lx and Lz obey an uncertainty relation

2. No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going on that the assumption that if LxLy - LyLz does not equal zero then they don't commute and have an uncertainty relation. However I can only get this equal to zero and don't know how to show the uncertainty rrelation if I achieve one.

Answers and Replies

Plutoniummatt
I'm going on that the assumption that if LxLy - LyLz does not equal zero then they don't commute and have an uncertainty relation. However I can only get this equal to zero and don't know how to show the uncertainty rrelation if I achieve one.

if you mean:

[Lx, Ly] = LxLy - LyLx

then it does not equal to zero, angular moment is the cross product: r x p

so Lx = y.Pz - z.Py Ly = x.Pz - z.Px

where x and y and z are position operators and Px, Py and Pz are momentum operators, stick those into your commutator and try again, you should end up with

[Lx, Ly] = ihLz

where h is the reduced planck constant. and Lz is the Angular momentum operator for z axis

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
It would also help if you showed us your calculation of the commutator so we can see where your error is.

leviathanX777
Ah I got it solved in the end. Just made a minor mistake. Thanks!

Suggested for: Angular Momentum Operator

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies