1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Operator.

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using matrix representations find [itex]L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z}[/itex] and from these show that [itex]L_{x},L_{y},L_{z}[/itex] satisfy the same algebraic equations. What are the roots of the algebraic equations?

2. The attempt at a solution

My problem is that I'm not sure what this question is asking me. I know what matrix reprsentations are; for example

[tex]L_z=\hbar \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]
    But I've never before come upon reference to [itex]L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z}[/itex]; what would matrix representations for these look like? Then there's the question about finding the roots of the algebraic equation; when talking about [itex]L_x[/itex] I would tend to think of [itex]L_x=yp_z-zp_y[/itex] as being the algebraic equations. If I'm correct then there is some analog for [itex]L^{3}_{x}[/itex]? How does that flow from the matrix representation?

I'm horribly confused here, any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?