Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Operators

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    How does one obtain the formulae for the angular momentum operators in spherical polar coordinates i.e.

[itex]\hat{L_x}=i \hbar (\sin{\phi} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\theta}} + \cot{\theta} \cos{\phi} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\phi}}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{L_y}=i \hbar (-\cos{\phi}{\phi} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\theta}} + \cot{\theta} \sin{\phi} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\phi}}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{L_z}=-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial{\phi}}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{L}^2=\hbar^2 \left[\frac{1}{\sin{\theta}} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\theta}} \left(\sin{\theta} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\theta}} \right) +\frac{1}{\sin^2{\theta}} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{\phi}} \right][/itex]

???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the del-operator in spherical coordinates.

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    so [itex]\hat{L}=\hat{r} \times \hat{p}[/itex]

where [itex]\hat{p}=-i \hbar \nabla[/itex]

do i use [itex]\nabla[/itex] as the gradient operator in spherical polars?

also do i write r in terms of x,y,z or in terms of r,theta,phi?

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

have you even tried?

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5
    yes. my notes run through it for the Cartesian case and subsitute r=(x,y,z) and [itex]\nabla=(\partial_x,\partial_y,\partial_z)[/itex].
    regardelss of which of the combinations i of r and del iuse above i can't get the right answer.

surely if i sub in for del in spherical polars i'm actually computing [itex]\hat{L_r},\hat{L_\theta},\hat{L_\phi}[/itex] rather than [itex]\hat{L_x},\hat{L_y},\hat{L_z}[/itex], no???

7. Mar 10, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook