1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Parking Gate

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x2bfH7J.png
    2. Relevant equations

Torque = r X F

3. The attempt at a solution

r is 2.5m since that's the length of the red (minus 0.5), and F should be the weight, so ma? That gives something like (5 * 2.5/3) * 9.8 * 2.5, which doesn't give me an answer at all :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've included the weight of the short end, but as though it is at the mass centre of the long end.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    Do I need to calculate them individually? The correct answer here is 49, and I think my approach as a whole is wrong.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, your error is more fundamental, I realised just after posting. You seem to be calculating moment of inertia, which is not what is asked for.

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    Can you point out where? I thought I was calculating torque.

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You squared the distance and divided by 3. That happens the formula for the moment of inertia of a bar, but it is not in the (correct) equation you quoted.

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying I SHOULD be using inertia of a bar, I = 1/3 M r^2 ? Because right now I am literally just doing f = ma.
    And if I need to use inertia, should I use the torque = Inertia * angular acceleration equation?

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I said the equation you quoted is correct:
    But that's not what you did here:
    Yiu have two factors of 2.5 and a divisor of 3. That looks like a moment of inertia calculation to me.

10. Apr 16, 2015 #9
    Oh!

It wasn't, that was a straight up r x F calculation. See, I was confused by the part where the bar is attached "0.5m from the end". So I figured that the actual mass would not be 5kg, but rather 5 * (2.5/3), since that would be the fraction of the bar that I'm actually looking at.

11. Apr 16, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok. In that case, your error is that you have treated the short end as simply not being there. It will produce a counter torque.
    The easiest way is just to treat all the mass as being at the mass centre (which is valid for finding the effective weight).

12. Apr 16, 2015 #11
    I see, how clever!

The mass center would be 1m away from the pole-thingy.

So torque = 1 * 5 * 9.8

= 49.

Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted