What angle does the vector angular momentum make with the axle

In summary, the problem involves two rods with masses attached to them, rotating at a speed of 30 rad/s. The question asks for the component of the total angular momentum along the axle and for the angle that the vector angular momentum makes with the axle. To solve this, the angular momentum of each mass is calculated using the same point as an origin, such as the center of mass.
rykirk
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could give me some guidance on this problem...

Two lightweight rods 20 cm in length are mounted perpendicular to an axle and at 180 degrees to each other. At the end of each rod, there is a 600 g mass. The rods are spaced 40 cm apart along the axle. The axle rotates at 30 rad/s, what is the component of the total angular momentum along the axle?

Thanks for all the help yesterday guys in my previous post. I was able to calculate the correct angular momentum which was 1.92 kg x m^2/s

I'm now stumped on the next part of the question which says:

What angle does the vector anguler momentum make with the axle. My professor gave me the hing that the vector angular momentum must be calculated about the same point for both masses.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the angular momentum of a body is not parallel to its axis of rotation. Find the total angular momentum by adding the angular momentum of each mass, which is given by [itex]\vec{L} = \vec{r}\times \vec{p}[/itex], using the same point as an origin. (I'd use the center of mass.)

Hi Ryan,

Glad we were able to help with the previous part of your question! Let's tackle the next part together. In order to find the angle between the vector angular momentum and the axle, we need to first calculate the total angular momentum. This can be done by finding the individual angular momenta of each mass and then adding them together.

Since the rods are mounted perpendicular to the axle, we can use the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia for a rod rotating around its center is given by I = 1/12 * m * L^2, where m is the mass and L is the length of the rod. So for each mass, we can calculate the angular momentum as L = 1/12 * 0.6 kg * 0.2 m^2 * 30 rad/s = 0.3 kg * m^2/s. Since there are two masses, the total angular momentum is 0.3 kg * m^2/s + 0.3 kg * m^2/s = 0.6 kg * m^2/s.

Now, to find the angle between the vector angular momentum and the axle, we need to use the concept of vector addition. The vector angular momentum of each mass can be represented by a vector pointing in the direction of rotation and with a magnitude equal to the calculated angular momentum. When these two vectors are added together, the resulting vector will be the total angular momentum vector. The angle between this vector and the axle can be found using trigonometry.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions or if you need more clarification on any of the steps. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

3. How is angular momentum calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. What is the difference between orbital and spin angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of an object around an axis, while spin angular momentum refers to the intrinsic rotational motion of an object, such as the spin of a subatomic particle.

5. How does angular momentum affect the stability of an object?

Objects with a higher angular momentum are generally more stable, as they have a greater resistance to changes in their rotational motion. This can be seen in the stability of spinning objects, such as a gyroscope.