1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum problem

1. Nov 22, 2005 #1
    The problem:
    A projectile of mass m=1.8 kg moves to the right with speed v=24.8 m/s. THe projectile strikes and sticks to the end of a stationary rod of mass M=6.75 kg and length d=1.71 m that is pivoted about a frictionless axle through its center. Find the angular speed of the system right after the collision.
    I know the I of a thin rod pivoting about its center is 1/12 Md^2 and that angular momentum is mrv. So with that, I tried this:
    [tex]I_{i}\omega_{i}=I_{f}\omega_{f}[/tex]
    [tex]rmv=\frac{1}{12}\left(m+M\right)d^{2}\omega_{f}[/tex]
    [tex]\omega_{f}=\frac{12rmv}{\left(m+M\right)d^{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\omega_{f}=\frac{12\left(\frac{1.71m}{2}\right)\left(1.8kg\right)\left(24.8\frac{m}{s}\right)}{\left(1.8kg+6.75kg\right)1.71m^{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\omega_{f}=18.319\frac{rad}{s}[/tex]
    Wrong answer. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

error is in the 2nd line, where you have taken the inertia as being for a mass of (m+M) rotating about the rod axle.

You should have the sum of two separate momenta here, one for M rotating about the rod axle and the other for a point mass, m, rotating about the rod axle, at a distance d/2, with the the same angular velocity.

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    Awesome, got it. Thanks a million for your help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?