1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Problem

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem asks to calculate the angular momentum for a metallic bob that is suspended from the ceiling by a thread of negligible mass. The angle between the thread and the vertical is 30degrees. It is also given that the mass of the bob is 7 kg and the length of the thread is 2.4m.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the equations:mv^2/r=Tsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first rearranged mg=Tcos(theta) to solve for T=mg/cos(theta)
    Next I substituted this into mv^2/r =Tsin(theta) and got mv^2/r=mgtan(theta)
    I found r by using the length of the thread and the angle with the vertical:
    sin30= r/2.4 r=1.2
    Next I solved for v. v=2.6m/s.
    My problem after this was applying it to the equation L=Iw
    I knew that L=(2/5)mr^2w or L=2mrv/5 but I wasn't sure what to put for the radius since it was not given.

Am I even on the right track???
    Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    These should be correct...

L = I(omega) is correct, but you are using the wrong I. 2/5mr^2 is the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis through its centre. However, the bob is not rotating about its centre, but rather about a vertical axis at the centre of its circular motion.

Hence I = mr^2, where r is the radius of its circular motion.
  4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot! yea that makes sense. so i guess you can kind of think of it as the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?
  5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    Not really, we are treating the bob as having the moment of inertia of a single point particle rotating about an axis
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?