1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum problem?

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Near the South Pole, a supply plane going at 120 mph drops a 60 kg supply package into a sled that was initially at rest. After the package lands in the sled, the speed of the sled was found to be 30 m/s. Estimate the mass of the sled.

2. Relevant equations

M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V

3. The attempt at a solution

Now i know that vertical velocity and horizontal velocity are independent of each other. So it would seem like i just plug, play, and solve for the unknowns. But this seems all too easy, like maybe the vertical motion has an effect on the final velocity. Anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks like a straightforward conservation of momentum problem. (Linear, not angular, of course.) Vertical motion won't factor in.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    You know thats what i thought, but this teacher is brutal, always throwing trick questions, so i thought i was missing something here.

5. Jun 21, 2012 #4
    Hi jcurtis912! Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Why would the vertical velocity have an effect on final horizontal velocity? The conservation of linear momentum clearly states that the momentum in one direction is conserved if there is no net force acting in that direction, and this holds for the given problem.

Edit : Seems I'm quite late...I left the screen open before submitting :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook