1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum problem

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1
    A bike wheel, of mass 1.36 kg is placed at the end of a rod 0.530 m in length, which can pivot freely about the other end.
    The rod is of negligble mass. The wheel is turning rapidly such that it has an angular momentum of 10.8 kgm^2/s. At what angular speed does the wheel revolve horizontally about the pivot?

I used the equation
    L= Iw, substituting .5MR^2 for I
    L= .5MR^2 w
    10.8=.5(1.36)(.530)^2 w
    Solving for w gives 56.5 rad/s which isn't right

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2
    Your moment of inertia is incorrect. You need to use the parallel axis theorem.

4. Apr 4, 2005 #3
    Ok I tried using
    L=Iw, with I= MR^2 +MG^2
    10.8= (1.36)(.265)^2+ (1.36)(.530)^2
    solving for w gives 22.6 rad/s... which isn't right
    I think I'm using the Parallel Axis Theorem wrong...
  5. Apr 4, 2005 #4
    what is the moment of inertia or a hoop pivoted in the centre? use this and add it to the length between the centre to the pivot point squared, times mass. The moment of inertia for a hoop is not MR^2. Just look it up on google.

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5
    Actually, a google search turns up I=MR^2 to be the moment of inertia of a hoop. But where does that play into this problem, seeing as you don't know the radius of the bicycle wheel? I'm having difficulty with a similar problem.
  7. Apr 6, 2005 #6
    they are asking you for the precessional angular velocity which is mgr/L. where r is the length of the rod that the wheel is on. I got this straight out of a physics book, I haven't worked through it to understand how they derived it but it works. punchlinegirl, where do u go to school at, I had a very similar problem in my physics class
  8. Apr 6, 2005 #7
    Thanks Felix. It looks like punchlinegirl actually goes to the same school as me (form of the question and date of posting), which is Penn State Behrend.
  9. Apr 6, 2005 #8
    Thanks. Yes I do go to PSB
  10. Apr 8, 2005 #9
    ha, me too. i guess alot of people have discovered this site
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?