Angular Momentum Problem

• Thread starter k_squared
  • Start date

Homework Statement

"The flywheel rotates with angular velocity of w=0.005theta^2 rad/s. Determine the angular acceleration after it has rotated 20 revolutions.

Homework Equations

I thought the equations were all but self-evident using the problem description! (See below.)
alpha=dw/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The angular velocity is merely a=0.01theta. I just plugged in 20*2pi for the acceleration at that time and was... wrong. Massively wrong, in fact. The book solutions agrees with me about my equations for w and a, but they actually multiple the acceleration and the velocity together!

The book defines alpha as dw/dtheta... but then, in this solution set, states that alpha=w(dw)(dtheta), which is not something I can make *any* sense out of. They then use this value of alpha to compute the acceleration over a rotation of (40pi), complete with theta cubed.

What happened here? I can't make heads or tails of it.

Answers and Replies

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
You need to use the chain rule of differentiation when applying ##\frac{d}{dt}## on ##[\theta (t)]^2##.

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
due to the chain rule of differentiation it is ##\frac{dw}{dt}=\frac{dw}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and it is also ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=w## so what your book says is correct.

The book defines alpha as dw/dtheta... but then, in this solution set, states that alpha=w(dw)(dtheta), which is not something I can make *any* sense out of. They then use this value of alpha to compute the acceleration over a rotation of (40pi), complete with theta cubed.

your book is wrong, it is not $$\alpha = w\times dw \times d\theta$$

it is,
$$\alpha = {d \omega \over dt} = \underbrace{{d\omega \over d\theta } \times {d\theta \over dt}}_{\text{chain rule}} = ?$$

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
due to the chain rule of differentiation it is ##\frac{dw}{dt}=\frac{dw}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and it is also ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=w## so what your book says is correct.
.... assuming k2 meant alpha=w(dw)/(dtheta) and not
alpha=w(dw)(dtheta),

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
guys I believe the post has some typos, I believe he meant to write that his book says that a=wdw/dtheta , ##a=w\frac{dw}{d\theta}## in latex :).

I'll give you a screenshot if you want!

The book defined alpha (angular acceleration, I take it) merely as $$\frac{dw}{d\theta}$$. Then is also says that $$\alpha d\theta = \omega d\omega$$.

The exact answer has the line in it:
$$\alpha=\omega \frac{d\omega}{d\theta}$$ and using the given (.005theta) value and its derivative, multiplies them together and posits the value derived thereof to be the answer.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
The book defined alpha (angular acceleration, I take it) merely as $$\frac{dw}{d\theta}$$.
That is a typo in the book. It should by dt in the denominator.
The exact answer has the line in it:
$$\alpha=\omega \frac{d\omega}{d\theta}$$ .
That is correct, but you omitted the / when you wrote alpha=w(dw)(dtheta).