1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Problem

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "The flywheel rotates with angular velocity of w=0.005theta^2 rad/s. Determine the angular acceleration after it has rotated 20 revolutions.

2. Relevant equations
    I thought the equations were all but self-evident using the problem description! (See below.)
    alpha=dw/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    The angular velocity is merely a=0.01theta. I just plugged in 20*2pi for the acceleration at that time and was... wrong. Massively wrong, in fact. The book solutions agrees with me about my equations for w and a, but they actually multiple the acceleration and the velocity together!

The book defines alpha as dw/dtheta... but then, in this solution set, states that alpha=w(dw)(dtheta), which is not something I can make *any* sense out of. They then use this value of alpha to compute the acceleration over a rotation of (40pi), complete with theta cubed.

What happened here? I can't make heads or tails of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2
    Are you sure of this definition?

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to use the chain rule of differentiation when applying ##\frac{d}{dt}## on ##[\theta (t)]^2##.

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4
    due to the chain rule of differentiation it is ##\frac{dw}{dt}=\frac{dw}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and it is also ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=w## so what your book says is correct.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5
    your book is wrong, it is not $$\alpha = w\times dw \times d\theta$$

it is,
    $$\alpha = {d \omega \over dt} = \underbrace{{d\omega \over d\theta } \times {d\theta \over dt}}_{\text{chain rule}} = ?$$

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

.... assuming k2 meant alpha=w(dw)/(dtheta) and not

8. Dec 7, 2016 #7
    guys I believe the post has some typos, I believe he meant to write that his book says that a=wdw/dtheta , ##a=w\frac{dw}{d\theta}## in latex :).

9. Dec 7, 2016 #8
    I'll give you a screenshot if you want!

The book defined alpha (angular acceleration, I take it) merely as $$\frac{dw}{d\theta}$$. Then is also says that $$\alpha d\theta = \omega d\omega$$.

The exact answer has the line in it:
    $$\alpha=\omega \frac{d\omega}{d\theta}$$ and using the given (.005theta) value and its derivative, multiplies them together and posits the value derived thereof to be the answer.

10. Dec 7, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is a typo in the book. It should by dt in the denominator.
    That is correct, but you omitted the / when you wrote alpha=w(dw)(dtheta).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted