1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum(Q&M)

1. May 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the possible measurements for Lz

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \psi(\theta,\phi) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4 \pi}} sin(\phi) sin(\theta) [/tex]
    probability Lz quantum

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I'm sure I can expand [tex] sin(\phi)= \frac{e^{i \phi}-e^{-i \phi}}{2 i}[/tex]
    Getting m=1,-1.
    [tex] \psi(\theta,\phi) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4 \pi}} sin(\theta) \frac{e^{i \phi}-e^{-i \phi}}{2 i}[/tex]
    Should the the probability be the coefficents mod squared?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2
    Yes, but you have to keep track of normalization; the coefficients should be those of normalized eigenfunctions of Lz. I suggest writing psi in terms of spherical harmonics.

4. May 15, 2009 #3
    you are working with two quantum numbers, If I remember correctly you have add up the normalized coefficients squared by increasing their orbital quantum number l up to m.

5. May 15, 2009 #4
    ok. So:
    [tex]\psi=\frac{\sqrt{2}i}{2}\left(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1}\right)[/tex] with everything sorted
    I have equal probability of measuring [tex]\pm \hbar[/tex] for [tex]L_z[/tex], right?

6. May 15, 2009 #5
    Wait, what I typed can't be right. m has to be -1,0,1 since l=1. so in terms of spherical harmonics I should have one more term [tex]Y_{1,0}[/tex] and then normalize that. That makes more sense.

7. May 16, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need a Y(1,0) A priori.

If your psi in post 4 equals the psi in Relevant equations in your first post, then it is ok.

You also check the normalizability of your result in post #4 by simply integrating it over [itex]r^2 d\Omega[/itex] and see if you indeed get 1.

Y(1,0) is proportional to cos(theta), and you only have sin(theta), so you should not expect a Y(1,0) term.

8. May 16, 2009 #7
    ok.
    In post four the coefficents work out since[tex]\Sigma |c_k|^2=1[/tex]

9. May 16, 2009 #8

diazona

Homework Helper

You could consider the coefficient of [tex]Y^1_0[/tex] to be 0 ;-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook