Angular Momentum: Position, Velocity, and Acceleration in Circular Motion

In summary, a small object with mass 3.20 kg moves counterclockwise with constant speed 6.30 m/s in a circle of radius 4.70 m centered at the origin. After undergoing an angular displacement of 8.00 rad, its resulting position vector is (4.7*cos(1.7) i + 4.7*sin(1.7) j) m. The particle is located in the second quadrant and makes an angle of 1.7 radians with the positive x-axis. Its velocity is (-6.30*sin(1.7) i + 6.30*cos(1.7) j) m/s and its acceleration is (-8.44*sin(1
physics_geek

Homework Statement

A small object with mass 3.20 kg moves counterclockwise with constant speed 6.30 m/s in a circle of radius 4.70 m centered at the origin. It starts at the point with position vector (4.70 i+ 0j ) m. Then it undergoes an angular displacement of 8.00 rad.
What it its position vector?
In what quadrant is the particle located and what angle does its position vector make with the positive x-axis?
What is its velocity?
What is its acceleration?
What total force is exerted on the object?

Homework Equations

i believe its the kinematics equations just replaced with angular speed and acceleration variables

The Attempt at a Solution

honestly..i think i should know how to do this but i can't seem to figure it out
any lil start would help..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How many radians in a circle?

umm isn't like 2pi radians

physics_geek said:
umm isn't like 2pi radians
Yes. Use that fact to figure out where the object ends up on the circle after it moves 8.00 radians.

ok so it goes around 4 times i guess?
i still don't understand

8 much less than 4*2Pi.

ok so i did 8rad/2pi = 1.27
what do i do with this information?

So the object has undergone 1 full revolution and .27 of a full revolution, which means that the rotation of the object from its original location is .27*2Pi radians. Can you see why and how to get the resulting vector? It is very important to draw a picture since this is the first time you are doing this.

hmm ok so I am pretty sure this means the particle is in the second quadrant right?
so .27*2Pi = 1.70...im not quite sure how to get the resulting vector tho...is it just 4.7*1.70?

physics_geek said:
hmm ok so I am pretty sure this means the particle is in the second quadrant right?
so .27*2Pi = 1.70...im not quite sure how to get the resulting vector tho...is it just 4.7*1.70?

4.7 is the length of the vector along the x-axis, while 1.7 is the angle the vector we are looking for makes with the x-axis. Why are you multiplying a length with an angle?
Draw a picture. We want to rotate the vector 4.7i + 0j, which luckily lies along the x-axis, 1.7 radians. The length of the vector is 4.7, so by the definition of sine and cosine, this gives us 4.7*sin(1.7) for the y-component and 4.7*cos(1.7) for the x-component. Remember that the 1.7 is in radians, not degrees. You will have to translate that if you are using a calculator that only works in degrees.
If you have drawn a diagram, you might also notice that this is the same as 4.7*sin(Pi - 1.7) and -4.7*cos(Pi - 1.7).

wow okay that makes so much more sense
so for x component = -.61
y component = 4.67

how do i do part b
i think part c for xcomponent its -6.30 m/s but i don't know the y component

physics_geek said:
how do i do part b
You already know the angle it makes from part a. From the signs of the components, or from your knowledge of angles, you should know the quadrant.
physics_geek said:
i think part c for xcomponent its -6.30 m/s but i don't know the y component
Draw a diagram. The tangential velocity vector starts at the tip of the position vector for the particle, is perpendicular to the position vector, and you have its length of 6.3. Getting the components is geometry/trigonometry similar to what we did in part a.

ok cool i think i got those parts anyways..but thanks for explaining them

how about e and f..any hints

You need to use the definition of centripetal force.

o ok..well that means that a = v^2/r
so 6.3^2/4.7 = 8.44m/s^2 right..how do i put that in x and y components

and for f its just mv^2/r right?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

While linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion, angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. They have different units and are calculated differently, but both are conserved quantities.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. Alternatively, it can also be written as L = mvr, where m is mass, v is linear velocity, and r is the distance from the rotation axis.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant unless there is an external force or torque applied.

5. How is angular momentum used in physics and engineering?

Angular momentum is an important concept in both physics and engineering. It is used in the study of rotational motion, such as the motion of planets and satellites, and is also important in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as turbines and propellers.