1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum simple, need help understanding what to use.

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    Here are seven particles each with the same magnitude of momentum || = 26 kg · m/s but with different directions of momentum and different positions relative to location A. The distances shown in the diagram have these values: w = 16 m, h = 24 m, and d = 23 m.

[​IMG]

Calculate the z component of angular momentum LAz for each particle (x to the right, y up, z out of the page). Make sure you give the correct sign.

(1) LAz = kg · m2/s
    (2) LAz = kg · m2/s
    (3) LAz = kg · m2/s
    (4) LAz = kg · m2/s
    (5) LAz = kg · m2/s
    (6) LAz = kg · m2/s
    (7) LAz = kg · m2/s

I know LA = P X R...but i'm not sure what i should use for R? Thanks for your help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would assume one is trying to find the angular momentum with respect to A, so in that case, for each particle, R is the distance from point A to that particle.

For particle 5, since the distance is zero, then L(5) = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?