What operators are involved in angular momentum states?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of quantum mechanics, specifically the use of operators in calculating states. The person is struggling with understanding certain operators and is seeking advice on how to approach them. They are recommended to consult textbooks or lecture notes for more information. The conversation also touches on the concept of eigenvalues and the use of bras and kets in calculations. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use the position representation for easier calculations.
leonmate
Hoping this is in the right section! The module is nuclear and atomic physics but it crosses over into quantum occasionally.

I've attached an image of the bit I'm trying to work out.

I've got an exam on this topic in just over a week, so sorry if these posts get annoying, I have a feeling I'm going to posting a few.. Physics is infuriating when you get stuck and can't find where to look for solutions!

The issue I have right now is I'm looking at a number of these operators acting on states like the one below and while I know a few operators: position, momentum, hamiltonian etc I keep getting these odd ones thrown at me and I don't know how to work these through... What's written on the sheet, am I supposed to just accept that's a result or is there a relatively simple way of working it through (if I can work it through I tend to understand and remember it more!)

Thanks,
Leon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 13.27.35.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 13.27.35.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
leonmate said:
I don't know how to work these through
From this statement, I can tell you haven't read enough material from your lecture notes or textbook.
leonmate said:
is there a relatively simple way of working it through
It's a relatively simple matter to work with 1 particle angular momentum operators, but of course only after you get sufficient knowledge on it. So, trying to explain the whole thing from the beginning is the same as retyping the existing chapter in your textbook. I suggest Quantum Mechanics by Griffith or Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai, or eventually the textbook your lecturer is using.

Ok, fair enough, I'm finding this a really tough subject

Perhaps my lecture notes aren't great, ill try one of those textbooks

thanks

Ok, found a handy website with an article that's explained this well:

http://www.physicspages.com/2011/07/20/angular-momentum-eigenvalues/

I was curious about this statement:

'We can assume that the eigenvalue of
latex.png
for
latex.png
is
latex.png
for some number
latex.png
. That is, for this eigenfunction' (above eq 19)

Why is it that we can assume this? I get that we have quantized states - is that why? so we can have hbar, 2hbar, 3hbar etc.
Also, is this the just the case for angular momentum or is it more than that?

Last edited:
##L_z## is an angular momentum operator, since ##\hbar## has the same unit as angular momentum, it makes sense saying that any eigenvalue of ##L_z## be a multiple of ##\hbar##. However at this point, nothing is specified about ##l##, it can be any real number. Later it will be proven that ##l## must be integer.

If you find it difficult to work with bras and kets to get your result, you can as well work with normal wavefunctions and the angular momentum operator written in the position representation...with the Y being your eigenfunctions and calculating Lz, L^2 (eg in spherical coordinates). o0)
If I recall well the difference is that with the brackets you will reach to half-integer angular momenta too, while with the one I'm proposing you won't...

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What are angular momentum states?

Angular momentum states refer to the different possible values of angular momentum that a system can have. These states are quantized, meaning they can only take on specific discrete values.

3. How is angular momentum related to orbital motion?

In orbital motion, the angular momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its orbital velocity and the radius of its orbit. This means that objects with a larger mass or faster orbital velocity will have a greater angular momentum.

4. What are some applications of angular momentum states?

Angular momentum states are used to describe the quantum behavior of particles and atoms, as well as in fields such as astrophysics, where they help explain the rotational motion of celestial bodies.

5. Can angular momentum states change?

Yes, angular momentum states can change through various interactions, such as collisions or interactions with electromagnetic fields. However, the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant, as described by the law of conservation of angular momentum.